This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dental Surgeon Visit, Removing Molers, Are The Drugs Ok?

Newtoitall

Newtoitall Enthusiast

I know as far as equipment goes that must all be fine, the office requires people to sanitize their hands before entering they are so on top of that, but I am worried about the antibacterial rinse/pain meds, the painkiller is Percocet, never used it before, honestly terrified of taking any meds the last med I took was that anti anexity/depressant that caused the whole destroy my stomach thing in the first place -.-

anywhoo

Do I need to fear gluten or anything like that from anything to do with the operation or stuff they do or give me?

see I don't know all what will be done and used so I don't know what to expect or question lol

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Esther Sparhawk Contributor

I know as far as equipment goes that must all be fine, the office requires people to sanitize their hands before entering they are so on top of that, but I am worried about the antibacterial rinse/pain meds, the painkiller is Percocet, never used it before, honestly terrified of taking any meds the last med I took was that anti anexity/depressant that caused the whole destroy my stomach thing in the first place -.-

anywhoo

Do I need to fear gluten or anything like that from anything to do with the operation or stuff they do or give me?

see I don't know all what will be done and used so I don't know what to expect or question lol

Contact your oral surgeon and ask him/her to check to make sure all medications are gluten-free. Also remind him/her that some toothpastes are not gluten-free and the alcohol that is sometimes used to cleanse equipment can be harmful. Give your oral surgeon plenty of time to prepare. He/she is responsible to take care of you, but it's a good idea to put everything in writing for your own legal protection. Write a formal letter to his/her office. Keep a copy for yourself as well.

That's what I'd do.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

The biggest risk is the pain pills for after the surgery or any sedative in pill form they may give to calm you before. What I do is get the script(s) filled before the appointment. I take in the script and do two things, I ask the pharmacey to check and at the same time I get the name of the maker they use then go home and call the company myself. I do this before I pick up the script as you cannot return script drugs. If it turns out the drug is not gluten free then the pharmacey can call your doctor to get an alternate drug. If your surgeon gives you the drugs instead of the script, some will do this, ask for the name of the drug and maker so you can check before you go.

Any intraveinous drugs they use should be safe.

Gemini Experienced

anywhoo

I have had numerous oral surgeries, implants, etc. and about the only thing you have to be concerned about is checking to see if the pain meds are gluten-free. I always use Vicodin because it is gluten-free....the generic brand is gluten-free also. Never had a problem with it and it works beautifully on any pain you may have.

Toothpastes....I have yet to find a dental toothpaste which is not gluten-free.....really! Never been glutened by toothpaste and I go to the dentist every 3 months for extensive cleanings. I am also an extremely sensitive Celiac and have not had a problem other than reacting to the gums used in some preparations and that had nothing to do with gluten. You want to make sure everything is gluten-free by asking about it but don't be paranoid about it either.

I usually check myself by calling companies that manufacture the products before the procedure is done because dentists are not experts on gluten-free status and neither are pharmacists. I had more problems in the past dealing with clueless dentists and pharmacists than in getting the correct information myself.

Antibacterial rinses are generally OK also but, again, read the label or ask for the brand beforehand to check status with the manufacturer. Dental companies are well aware of the problem of gluten and most manufacture their products to be gluten-free. I spent a lot of time looking into this and calling people as I have a lot of dental work done and learned they are not as clueless as one would think. I have never come across any dental related product, used in a dental office, which contained gluten. I am in the US so this would only apply here in the States.

Alcohol should never be a problem because I couldn't imagine why there would be a gluten containing alcohol and even worse, alcohol should not be used in the mouth. It will actually burn tissue so I highly doubt any dentist would get any of it near your mouth...for whatever reason.

Relax and good luck with your dental surgery. You will be fine and it's a good thing you are getting things fixed.

Archived