Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

I Have Cocoa Powder And Coconut Milk. Any Good Brownie Recipes?

• Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

#1 munchkinette

munchkinette

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:18 AM

I am not great at making up recipes and substituting, but I have the ingredients for brownies. Does anyone have a recipe that uses cocoa powder and coconut milk? I DO NOT have actual chocolate in the house. I have the standard staples for gluten-free baking, like gluten-free flour and xanthan gum.
Gluten free since Feb 2006, Dairy and Soy free since 2009

Anemic off and on since 2003
Negative tTG Ab, IgA, Gliadin Ab IgA, wheat allergy (IgE) blood tests (Feb 2006)
Positive wheat allergy skin test(Apr 2006)and dietary response (Feb 2006)
Celiac grandmother (Dx in 1940s, "grew out of it")

Training for my first triathlon to support the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.

~Amy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Maggie Mermaid

Maggie Mermaid

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:05 PM

I am not great at making up recipes and substituting, but I have the ingredients for brownies. Does anyone have a recipe that uses cocoa powder and coconut milk? I DO NOT have actual chocolate in the house. I have the standard staples for gluten-free baking, like gluten-free flour and xanthan gum.

Well, I've been looking at this recipe that calls for cocoa powder (but not coconut milk) but I haven't tried it yet. The pictures look great. If you end up trying it, it'd be great to hear a report. :)

MaidInAlaska Brownies

Well, I tried the MaidInAlaska Brownie recipe tonight and it is really good. Too good! :blink: Even the raw batter tasted good.

I altered a few things because of what I had onhand and to taste:
- canola oil instead of olive oil
- 1 cup of each sugar instead of 1 1/4 c. of each (it came out sweet enough)
- BRM sorghum flour instead of the Authentic Foods brand
- Added 1/2 tsp. instant coffee (I'd heard it brings out the chocolate flavor).

Also lined the pan with parchment paper so it'd be easier to clean.
Enlarged thyroid with nodules and Hashimoto's diagnosed 2007. Self-diagnosed as gluten-intolerant.

Husband is gluten-intolerant, also self-diagnosed, suffered from severe eczema which has largely disappeared since avoiding wheat, corn, tomatoes, tree nuts.

#3 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:15 PM

Sorry to say this but true brownies do not contain milk! The liquid comes from eggs and melted butter (or other shortening). Are you interested in brownie recipes anyway or would you like chocolate cake recipes that use coconut milk?

The following are amongst two of my favourite gluten-free brownie recipes:
http://glutenfreegod...e-brownies.html
http://www.chow.com/...n-free-brownies

Luckily brownies, cakes, cookies and quick breads are very easy to make gluten-free with just simple substitutions of gluten-free flour blends. Usually I take my favourite recipe and just make it gluten-free. Good luck! :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:40 PM

Sorry to say this but true brownies do not contain milk! The liquid comes from eggs and melted butter (or other shortening). Are you interested in brownie recipes anyway or would you like chocolate cake recipes that use coconut milk?

The following are amongst two of my favourite gluten-free brownie recipes:
http://glutenfreegod...e-brownies.html
http://www.chow.com/...n-free-brownies

Luckily brownies, cakes, cookies and quick breads are very easy to make gluten-free with just simple substitutions of gluten-free flour blends. Usually I take my favourite recipe and just make it gluten-free. Good luck! :)

What would be a good thing to sub for the oat flour on that second one?
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: