5 replies to this topic

#1 red island

red island

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

Hi Everyone, I booked a trip to Punta Cana shortly after I was diagnosed. Before I knew just how many things gluten was in and before I fell victim to the dreaded cross-contamination and its consequences. Now I am a month away from my vacation and need some advice on what kind of foods I should be fairly safe eating. It is a large resort with mostly buffet style but also some restaurants. I would like to avoid the buffet but I have read that the restaurants may be hard to get into - we plan on trying to make reservations as soon as we get there. I am also taking my own cereal and tons of snacks - worst case scenario I eat sparingly but still enjoy the sun and sand. Any advice from those of you who have been there would be much appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 red island

red island

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

Oh!!! Worst case scenario would not be eating sparingly - it would be the dire consequences of cc!

#3 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

Can you contact the resort and restaurants ahead of time? Oftentimes, high-tourist-traffic vacation spots are ahead of the curve regarding catering to gluten-free guests. Definitely try to call ahead....

#4 Marier.ga75

Marier.ga75

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:28 PM

Hi
Did your trip to pc happen? Pls share your tips. I have to go to to a family event at dreams punta Cana palm beach with a child with celiac who gets very very ill from accidental gluten and I am stressed.
Thanks

#5 red island

red island

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

I just got back from Punta Cana last week and am still sick from it. I went to the Grand Paradise Bavaro which is a beautiful resort but totally not set up for people with food issues. Very hard to get into the restaurants on the resort and the buffet was well spaced out - fruit way separate from other foods, bread all to itself on a separate table but you cant control what people do once they get there. Major contamination issues there - the milk was in a big vat and you ladled it onto your cereal or into your glass. There were always bits of cereal floating in it. and staff always in a hurry, no facilities in the room to prepare my own food so I basically ate out of my suitcase all week and lived on rice and fruit. I did not contact the resort before I went and I really regret that but with this place I feel that it would not have helped. There were just too many people going through and not enough staff. I would love to go back to Punta Cana, it is beautiful beyond belief but I would stay at a higher class resort.

#6 red island

red island

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:57 PM

Oh and I forgot to add that I would definitely look for a room with a kitchenette, they must have some rooms like that. I had taken mac and cheese that I thought I could just heat up in my room but that did not happen cause it turned out I had to add hot water and then microwave it and that wasnt possible. My next trip I will be taking a collapsible kettle with me so I can at least eat a few things in my room besides snack food.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: