This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Trying To Concieve--How Long Did It Take To Get A Positive Pregnancy Test After Celiac Diagnosis?

addis001

addis001 Apprentice

So in September of 2011.. That was the last time I experienced real PMS symptoms..

In October, November, December, January, I've been off a little bit, like 34-36 days. January was 28 days which was amazing!!! And the flow was much much lighter not as clotting..

i started celiac diet end of January and feeling a ton better after 4 weeks. (major symptoms were, pain at a 7 or 8, diarrhea, nausea, fatigue) I'm about to start..But I wondered,

1)did your flow change before starting celiac diet?

2)how long did it take for your flows to return to normal after stating diet?

3)how long did it take for you to get pregnant after starting celiac diet?

4)Did you see OB for fertility options?

5)what seemed to help and what didn't help?

TTC since October, and I'm guaranteed the pain and malabsorbtion issues were causing my fertility problems..My first son we conceived on the first try and my pms symptoms were in full throttle.. now I feel off..Like my hormones aren't the same.. my PMS symptoms are not as pronounced as they were..Anyone else have the same experience?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jswog Contributor

I had been off of Depo shots since May before going gluten free in Sept and my cycle hadn't started back up yet.

My cycle started again almost exactly one month after going gluten free.

I was pregnant on my second cycle after going gluten free (November)

We'd been discussing it, but it turned out to be unnecessary.

I think just going gluten free and taking a some good vitamins to get my body going how it needed to go was all the help I needed.

Good luck!

Jen

addis001 Apprentice

Thank you!! This really helps me cope with trying to concieve.. I feel broken since this allergy has kicked up. But now that I'm on the diet, I'm feeling better and better each day. I just am having doubts..

We've only been trying for 4 months technically, so I wonder if I need to wait until maybe 8 months before I see OB.. And also I'm working with GI now to do CT scan(if not prego this month), and blood work to confirm tests.. Even though he knows I have celiac, he says my symptoms are right on, as well as family history of confirmed celiac.

tarnalberry Community Regular

It was so long ago, I don't remember. I don't think so, but I may not be remembering well either.

I wouldn't know if it was "normal" before if it did change!

We were lucky and got a hit on our first try. (First month, anyway.)

No.

I've been charting for ages, so I know when I ovulate, and we timed sex for that. If you aren't already charting I HIGHLY suggest doing so, and most good RE's (reproductive endocrinologists) will have you do so.

TTC since October, and I'm guaranteed the pain and malabsorbtion issues were causing my fertility problems..My first son we conceived on the first try and my pms symptoms were in full throttle.. now I feel off..Like my hormones aren't the same.. my PMS symptoms are not as pronounced as they were..Anyone else have the same experience?

I might have missed it in your sig, but how old is your first? Are you still nursing? Are you sleeping well? Hormones ARE different after having a kid, so I wouldn't be surprised if you feel that they are different than when you conceived with your first. On average, it takes 6 months for 50% of couples to conceive, so, afaik, most RE's wouldn't even see you yet - maybe after nine months. If you aren't charting, it's hard to say if you're just missing the window of fertility (it's only a few days long) or if you have a short luteal phase (not enough to allow implantation) or some other factor.

Good luck!!

addis001 Apprentice

My son will be 2 years old next month.. I wanted to completely heal before having a second, since we had a C-section.. I've charted since August, and my hormones have felt different since October..

Went gluten free end of January.. And now my symptom of extreme fatigue are back. But the pain is gone.. I wonder if its because I'm healing.. But I want to nap and sleep alot.. That was my first symptom back when my son turned one, last March.

jswog Contributor

We've only been trying for 4 months technically, so I wonder if I need to wait until maybe 8 months before I see OB..

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I had my annual in August after going off of Depo last May and discussed everything with my OB at that time. She wasn't pleased that I'd been off the shot for three months without a cycle and wanted to start meds to try to kick my period back in (wouldn't do anything for ovulation, but just start my period), but I didn't want to jump the gun with it. She gave me a month at that time for my period to start (though I didn't call her and it did start in about 6 weeks) or I was supposed to call her to get started on the drugs to try to kick start things. When it did start, I went in to see her and had a pelvic ultrasound just to make sure everything was in working order (I'd had a small cyst previously which should have resovled itself with a cycle, but wanted to make sure) and fortunately all was good. She gave me only six months from that point to be pregnant on our own without intervention. She was doubtful that I would be ovulating for a while (if at all without intervention) and asked me to get some OPK just to track my cycle so that we would have a better starting point when/if we had to pursue further means. Surprisingly, I was ovulating on that first cycle, but we just didn't get lucky enough for one of my husband's swimmers to hit the mark that first month (despite KNOWING 100% that we DTD at the right time), but the second month worked like a charm! The reason she wanted to be as aggressive as she was with us is because of our ages. I am 35 and my husband is 40. Generally it is advised to be actively trying for one year before seeking medical help, so it does sound to me like you might be jumping the gun a little bit. Your OB likely won't even talk to you about interventions until you've been trying for that long unless you are 'older'.

upwitht21 Rookie

I went gluten free in November and accidentally got pregnant in January (sadly we lost it) gluten was definitely a major factor for us as we did ten cycles of fertility treatments with no success.

Jess

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

addis001 Apprentice

I will be 31 this year... I figured that my OB won't talk to me unless I've tried for a year, but I feel like I'm not in my 20s, so it would make a difference maybe that I'm in my 30s.

At the same time, I think I should wait a little longer so I won't miscarry.

Because this new gluten diet will take some getting use to. I still can't figure out what to buy some days..Different websites and different people say different things everyday.

jswog Contributor

I will be 31 this year... I figured that my OB won't talk to me unless I've tried for a year, but I feel like I'm not in my 20s, so it would make a difference maybe that I'm in my 30s.

At the same time, I think I should wait a little longer so I won't miscarry.

Because this new gluten diet will take some getting use to. I still can't figure out what to buy some days..Different websites and different people say different things everyday.

You are so right about how difficult it is to get the hang of a gluten free diet in the beginning. I read and researched for almost two months before kicking the gluten out of my life. Do you have a gluten free house or does anyone still keep gluten around? It is MUCH easier to do when you maintain a completely gluten free kitchen. 35 is the 'magical' age where you officially become of 'advanced maternal age,' so it really depends on your doctor if they'll take you more seriously now at 30. I know you said that you are already tracking your cycle. I know they are fairly expensive, but if you can afford some OPKs to use in addition, that would help you better pinpoint the right time and by keeping track you'll have that information to take to your doctor if it does get to that point. But it doesn't sound like there's any reason to start getting too worried yet, IMHO. Good luck!

addis001 Apprentice

i need to get some more OPK's, I've used some the last couple of months, and they definitely helped.

I pretty much have a gluten free house, except my husband won't give up bread, chips, or cookies that are regular and not gluten free.. Which is fine, i understand. I'm trying to cook wholesome cheap gluten free meals that we both can enjoy. And my 2 year old is very picky eater. i feed him gluten free when I can, but he won't give up the chicken nuggets, so I let him have those.. We have an area of where they can have gluten, and I make sure and clean that area. And the table and floors.

So far, I'm not have any reactions to the gluten they are eating, so i think we have the contamination part under control.. I just need to clean the microwave soon just in case. i do alot of crockpotting, so that definitely helps. and I;m home all day, so that helps ALOT.. So I have time to cook for everyone...

jswog Contributor

i need to get some more OPK's, I've used some the last couple of months, and they definitely helped.

I pretty much have a gluten free house, except my husband won't give up bread, chips, or cookies that are regular and not gluten free.. Which is fine, i understand. I'm trying to cook wholesome cheap gluten free meals that we both can enjoy. And my 2 year old is very picky eater. i feed him gluten free when I can, but he won't give up the chicken nuggets, so I let him have those.. We have an area of where they can have gluten, and I make sure and clean that area. And the table and floors.

So far, I'm not have any reactions to the gluten they are eating, so i think we have the contamination part under control.. I just need to clean the microwave soon just in case. i do alot of crockpotting, so that definitely helps. and I;m home all day, so that helps ALOT.. So I have time to cook for everyone...

Sounds like you're right on track! My husband does still have a few things around the house that he doesn't want to give up, but anything that's really difficult for me to watch him eat he takes to work to eat for lunches there. He'll still order a pizza now and then, but always checks with me first to see if it would be too much for me at the moment. gluten-free bread is SO expensive that he does keep that around along with some regular pretzels, but has a specified area of the kitchen where they stay/are prepaired. Plus he just doesn't want to give up his beer. The beer is easy about CC, though, and he just makes sure to brush his teeth before kissing me. I agree about the crock pot. I LOVE the crock pot and am looking forward to being home and cooking more after the baby gets here. When I first moved down here (we got married last June), I spent about a month before I started working and I could keep up around the house and have meals ready when my husband got home from work. I loved it. Now that I'm pregnant and working (and a very physical job no less), I'm just too tired to get much done around here. My husband is great about picking up the slack! Good luck and keep everyone updated on your progress!!!

JoyfulGF Apprentice

I'm in the same boat as you! Sort of. Been trying to conceive since Oct of 08. Since going gluten-free in December, I had a sort of period (ever use that phrase ;) in January and completely missed it in February...took a test and came back negative. Thinking it might be a while before I am completely back on track and I finally get pregnant.

Hope success is soon for you! Sorry I don't have any real advice.

lucia Enthusiast

I thought that I'd mention that before going gluten-free along with my symptoms of stomach pain (diagnosed as gastritis) and neuropathy, I suffered painful PMS that would keep me prone for a week. Along with cramps, my flow was heavy and very clotted. My PMS got worse over years, but suddenly became excruciating when I first felt stomach cramps and the worst of the neuropathy. I also had irregular (24 day) cycles for the first time in my life. It's like my body broke down all at once, and my reproductive system suffered.

I now have regular, pain-free periods after being gluten-free for going on two years and having regular acupuncture for over a year. I credit the acupuncture as much as the gluten-free diet. For women who are suffering from these issues: acupuncture can be amazing! It is likely that these issues have prevented me from getting pregnant (as we know, celiac and infertility are linked), but I've been assured by my OBGYN that I should have no issues at this point except for age. We'll see. It's hard to stay hopeful since it's been years now.

• 3 years later...
jensceliacjourney Newbie

Have you had your vitamin D levels checked?  Often low in celiacs, esp upon initial diagnosis and strongly linked to fertility and fatigue.  Best of luck to you!  I'm 39 and in same boat....7 Drs, every test under the book, 3 failed IUI cycles, and 5 miscarriages all with "unexplained infertility".  I ran the test myself and found out I had celiacs.  Hoping this is the change on my road to recovery! ❤️

cyclinglady Grand Master
3 hours ago, jensceliacjourney said:

Have you had your vitamin D levels checked?  Often low in celiacs, esp upon initial diagnosis and strongly linked to fertility and fatigue.  Best of luck to you!  I'm 39 and in same boat....7 Drs, every test under the book, 3 failed IUI cycles, and 5 miscarriages all with "unexplained infertility".  I ran the test myself and found out I had celiacs.  Hoping this is the change on my road to recovery! ❤️

Give yourself time to really heal.  Be patient.  Reduce stress.   Hard, I know!  Your best bet (I am not  doctor) is to eat well (whole foods) and avoid going out to eat.  Each glutening can set you back.  In my case, months!  

I had my baby at 39 1/2, I hope it happens for you!  

LookingforAnswers15 Enthusiast

Hi,

Jenceliacjourney - ask your doctor to test you for APS or Hughes Syndrome. I have just learned that I have it and i was told it also causes miscarriages. You might have already been tested for it since when someone has multiple miscarriages, doctors check for this plus you did IUI cycles. If you have not, I recommend it. In most cases, during pregnancies, women just have to take an aspirin that helps control creation of blood clots.

I am not trying to get pregnant but I read somewhere that when women do ivf and FET, they are often encouraged to go on gluten free diet even if they are not diagnosed celiacs.

Good luck.

Archived