6 replies to this topic

#1 grodeylocks

grodeylocks

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

I was just wondering if any of you are in the Santa Cruz area. I am new to the gluten-free lifestyle and would love for you to show me the ways!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

I'd like to know this too. Trader Joes has some things. That's all I know. Let me know what you learn.

#3 grodeylocks

grodeylocks

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

I'd like to know this too. Trader Joes has some things. That's all I know. Let me know what you learn.

I know new leaf has some options and whole foods as well. Its going out to eat thats the problem though.

#4 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:50 PM

I live in the area and here are the tops on my list. I've been to many places that are accomodating and can't really say I've had many issues around here. Sushi is everywhere around here too...

Ideal Bar in Santa Cruz and Zelda's in Capitola (don't think they have a gluten free menu but certainly have lots of options and generally know what is and isn't (Ideal does a better job of knowing than Zelda's) - Lobster and butter sauce is gluten-free in Capitola

Hula's Island Grill - Marina and Santa Cruz

Dharma's - Santa Cruz

Saturn Cafe - Santa Cruz

Jia Tella's - Scotts Valley

Pizza (as always there is a risk of CC):

Pleasure Pizza - Capitola

Redwood Pizza - Felton

Tony & Albas - Scotts Valley

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#5 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

Janet,
Are you saying they all have a gluten-free menu in your list? I'm going there in two weeks. We are staying at the Dream Inn. Is there anything on the warf or near Dream Inn you'd suggest? Any Asian you know of that is safe? Thanks so much. That is a really good list.

#6 grodeylocks

grodeylocks

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:58 PM

I highly recommend Saturn Cafe. They are very health conscious there.

Janet,
Are you saying they all have a gluten-free menu in your list? I'm going there in two weeks. We are staying at the Dream Inn. Is there anything on the warf or near Dream Inn you'd suggest? Any Asian you know of that is safe? Thanks so much. That is a really good list.

#7 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

With the exception of the Ideal, Zelda's and Hula's yes they all have gluten-free menus (most are online).

For Asian try Jia Tella (Cambodian). There are tons of sushi places around but I can't think of any with gluten-free soy sauce. I usually don't ask because I bring my own and eat sashimi. I haven't tried it but I've heard this place is good although their statement about the soy sauce is a little weird:

http://www.charlieho...enu/#glutenfree

I think most of the places I mentioned are on here - I'm not sure if they all have gluten-free menus though: http://www.urbanspoo...ruz-restaurants

The Ideal is on the boardwalk is near your hotel. I've also eaten at the Casablanca Inn which is close to you. You might be able to walk to the Saturn Cafe or Hula's. They are both in the area but I'm not sure how close to you...

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: