24 replies to this topic

#16 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

Omg! The same thing happened to me since I was around twelve. My doctor thought it may be linked to my bladder condition, interstitial cystitis (which was caused by my food sensitivities i was unaware of). According to my doctor, it is more common with those who have insomnia, wake excessively or fail to go through normal stages of sleep. I woke sometimes sixteen times a night to go to the bathroom. It's kinda a chicken and egg kinda thing for me, idk which came first but they are definitely related.
Gluten and Oat Free 6/'12
Dairy, Corn and Yeast free 7/'12
Nightshade Free, Candida diet & low salicylates 8/'12
Nightshades and carbs and sugars limitedly reintroduced, most salicylates now tolerated 9/'12
No longer Reacting to yeasty breads 10/'12
Test confirmed yeast overgrowth, back on Candida diet 11/'12

You only get one life so make it count.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

I'm pretty sure this has happened to me, but I wake so slowly that it's never frightened me, as I don't wake and immediately try to move. I have never had it happen on a day where an alarm is waking me, so not sure really.

I'm pretty sure it's related to the hormones that regulate sleep. The body releases mild paralytic hormones that are designed to keep you from sleepwalking, it's theorized that a deficiency in these contributes to somnambulism. Too much and you get temporary waking paralysis.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#18 Krystal K.

Krystal K.

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:51 PM

wow I forgot about this ..This happened to me at my peek of symptoms of gluten ataxia.. It never happened in my life before that though, but once the ataxia got to the point of wobbly knees and difficulty. reading and writing, I kept having these and I remember trying to explain it, was frightening!! ...it does sound like a sepearate sleep disorder ..but I believe ceiliacs causes all sorts of seperate conditions ..so personally I havn't had one since going Gluten-Free...to me feels like it was related.
feels good to be free

#19 Songbird34

Songbird34

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

I have suffered from sleep paralysis. I don't know if it's connected to celiac. I've only been gluten-free for two months now, but I have not experience sleep paralysis in those two months. However it only happened to me once or twice a year.

#20 lisa74

lisa74

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

This happened to me sometimes but has not happened since going gluten free.

#21 Amandaceliac93

Amandaceliac93

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

I have had sleep paralysis since I was 5. and it happend at least once a month. I would get so scared that I would stay up at night which would make it more likley to happen but when I went Gluten-Free it didn't really happen. I think there might be a connection.

#22 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

:blink: I had an incident last night.

First time in years. Ugh, shivers as i think about it. I was like "is this what i think it is?". :unsure:

#23 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

Sorry Shadow :(

Hope you have a restful night tonight - scary stuff.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#24 biancad

biancad

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:24 AM

I've never had this happen to me until my recent hospital visits related to celiac disease. It is now a recurring thing despite being gluten-free for nearly two weeks. It's very scary and I'm finding that I'm totally sleep disturbed since this has all been going on. I've been awake the majority of nights for days on end after gluten attacks. I feel like I'm in a nightmare sequence. I'm awake with panic and shortness of breath truly afraid that if I fall asleep that I will die. When I finally start to dose, the paralysis sets in while I'm still awake. it's very scary.

#25 across

across

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:45 PM

Yes, I have had this happen a number of times in my life. It is terrifying!

I didn't read the link you posted, but one thing I have read in the past (and that has helped me avoid this) is that it occurs more frequently when you sleep on your back. I have no idea why this is the case, but changing your sleep position might help. I'm not a back sleeper usually, but every time it has happened to me that I can recall, I was sleeping on my back at the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: