arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Are There Any Blood Tests If I'm Already gluten-free?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#31 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:06 PM

I have a question about testing. 2 years ago I tested positve, according to my doctor, with a gluten intolerance. This week i went in with an order to have a celiac panel. Today the dr. said that the results were negetive but he wants me on allergy serum because I tested positive to skin test to garlic and apricot. The test results from what I can read- I asked for a copy- Shows only the IG antibody, IgA 3.26 and then again -IgA 186. I have a sister who was diagnosed by biopsy 20 years ago and another sister diagnosed by blood and biopsy 2 weeks ago.
I definitely feel better on a gluten free diet. I have IBS (diarrhea and constipation, cramping, nausea, fatigue and headaches and had gallbladder removed due to a stone). I am hypothyroid and have tested positive for arthritis. I have not been to a gasto or an enterologist, but have appointments at the end of the month. Should I bother? There is a family history of thyroid, psoriasis, celiac, colon cancer, diverticulits, diverticulosis, stomach ulcers and gallbladder disease. I ate gluten for about 5 days before the last blood test and just a little off and on for the months prior. Not everyday but a little on the weekends. Did that skew the test? The test I took 2 years ago also was done right after I had been avoiding gluten for awhile. I am so confused. Someone even said it was in my head!

Hon, I am sure it is not in your head. You have to be eating a full gluten diet for celiac testing to be reliable. And it has to be continuous for at least two months, preferably three, the equivalent of 3-4 slices of bread a day. You body only makes antibodies when exposed to gluten, and the blood test is searching for antibodies, so no gluten = no antibodies and negative results.

With your family history, and personal history of GI symptoms, fatigue, headaches, gallbladder problems, hypothyroid, arthritis,psoriasis, I would guess you are most definitely celiac. But you cannot prove it if you were not eating gluten continuously and in sufficient quantity for long enough When you say you were tested positive for gluten intolerance two years ago, were you diagnosed as celiac? Because as of now there is no specific testing for gluten intolerance - they are working on it. If you were diagnosed as not being able to eat gluten two years ago, nothing has changed: you are still unable to eat gluten and you need no more testing.

And what on earth is "allergy serum"??? Never heard of it. Can you be more specific what he is asking you to take? Because the only cure for gluten intolerance is not to eat gluten. Period. .
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009