2 replies to this topic

#1 Mateto

Mateto

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

Today I read of de-glutinated wheat. It's used in many gluten-free foods in Austria, and other places in Europe and Canada!

I know "de-glutinated" would mean without gluten, but, how could wheat be without gluten, and is it safe for the gluten intolerant and coeliac?
Gluten-free since St George's Day this year :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

It is controversial. Gluten in wheat is found in the proteins, particularly the storage protein gliadin. Wheat, like most plants, contains other substances besides protein. Carbohydrates are also present in the form of starches and sugars. Various processing methods can eliminate the protein--it is a very large molecule. Whether enough remains to be a concern is an issue that has been debated.

My personal view is that starch is a risk that I will not take, but refined sugars (dextrose, glucose, sucrose, maltodextrin, dextrose, maltose, etc.) are not a concern.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 BabsV

BabsV

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:56 AM

I am living in Poland and almost all gluten-free products here are made with "gluten free wheat flour" -- that's the best way I can translate it. I think it is the same as the gluten-free wheat starch used in the UK, etc. Apparently it meets the EU standard of less than 20PPM. I only tried it once by accident (newly diagnosed and still trying to figure out labels...) and it made me sick sick sick. I won't touch the stuff. Actually, won't touch any of the local products because even a couple I tried without the gluten-free wheat flour also made me sick. I'm not convinced the manufacturing processes are such that they clean the facilities well...or there's cross-contamination somewhere else along the line. I have done ok with the occasional gluten-free replacement food from Schar -- haven't seen any product from them that is available here that uses the gluten-free wheat flour.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: