Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Know Of Any Good Research On The Effect Of Gluten In The Behavior In Children?

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:20 AM

I'd love to learn more about this and there are some high up people I'd like to share this information with.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 coffeetime

coffeetime

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

As part of my Master's thesis, I'm researching high protein, low carb vs. high carb, low protein on student achievement and I have read a lot of articles but have found very few that related to topics like gluten. I know from experience if I'm exposed to gluten I'm more likely to suffer from brain for and as a child (pre-gluten knowledge) I was in trouble most of the time. I have run across a few articles that mentioned celiac being misdiagnosed as mild autism. If you have access to a university database you might have better luck. If you like and I run across any as I continue my research I would be happy to email them to you if possible through the forums or you can send me your email by pm.

#3 Lfrost

Lfrost

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:18 AM

I have been reading "Living Gluten Free For Dummies" (second edition) by Danna Korn. She does an excellent job of explaining the effects of gluten on behavior in Chapter 4: it is titled "Connecting Gluten with Autism, Behavior, and Mood". I love the way that it is explained in layman's terms. I have been referring this book to family and friends telling them to at least read this chapter. :)

I don't like, however, that her sources are not always referenced (at least not on my digital copy from iTunes).

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

Here is a collection of Pub Med articles relevant to gluten and it's effects.

The section on the right side of the main page "Neurological Manifestations"--click on that.

It may have something for you:

https://sites.google.../jccglutenfree/

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 azmontessoriteacher

azmontessoriteacher

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

I am intersted in the same topic. I am currently in a graduate program for School Psychology. I found this very interesting article that had an extensive list of behaviors and mental health challenges related to Celiac. I am not sure if the link will work if you are not a member of the National Association of School Psychologists. I think it will let you see the article one time only before you are told you must be a member.

http://www.nasponlin...cq348pedsp.aspx

If not, a librarian may be able to help you access it with the following information. It was truly an informative article.

NASP Communiqu, Vol. 34, #8
June 2006

Celiac Disease and Children: Implications for Psychologists and Educators

By Jessica B. Edwards George, Jessica Blom-Hoffman, NCSP, & Debra L. Franko

#6 azmontessoriteacher

azmontessoriteacher

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

Thank you for posting this! I was looking for something like this for my research.

Here is a collection of Pub Med articles relevant to gluten and it's effects.

The section on the right side of the main page "Neurological Manifestations"--click on that.

It may have something for you:

https://sites.google.../jccglutenfree/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: