4 replies to this topic

#1 Mamaburke

Mamaburke

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:34 AM

Hi, I have recently noticed that my mouth and the back of my throat burn almost constantly. I've read that this is part of Hashimoto's and I was wondering if anyone else has this and if there are any remedies for the burning mouth? I have multiple food allergies/intolerance so my diet is very restricted. I've been on the GAPS diet for about two months, stuck at stage 3.

Also, I am still losing weight, down to 100lbs. Has anyone else lost a lot of weight without meaning to? In less than a year?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:19 AM

A burning tongue and throat are strong indications of iron and/or B vitamin deficiencies. It could be that the lining of your small intestine is still healing, and your restrictive diet, in conjunction with this inability to absorb nutrients well, is causing you to become nutritionally deficient in certain vitamins and minerals.

A good B vitamin, such as Coenzyme B-Complex Caps by Country Life might help you, but you should also consider taking 2,000-3,000 mcg of sublingual B-12 daily for a while. Sublingual Vitamin B12 is easy to find at stores and very reasonably priced. If this is the problem, you should see almost immediate relief of your symptoms.

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

I lived with throat burning for several months (turned out to be GERD being really bad). I normally tried to keep it coated with things such as milk or even when i didn't have that i chuged water just to keep it wet.

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

I lost 90 lbs. without trying (after being overweight for years ) due to malabsorption from celiac.

I also had a horrible burning tongue, mouth, throat, GI tract---made me cry every day--- and no doctor could explain it.

(I heard GERD, HORMONES, Sjrogen's, menopause, yeast infection, vit defs, "NO IDEA" , blah blah blah ) It burned right down to my rectum (sorry, it's the truth) and it did not stop until about 10-12 months after being gluten-free after my DX.

to my knowledge, it has nothing to do with Hashi's thyroiditis.

It's inflammation, possibly vitamin deficiencies and dehydration.

Drink water, have your vitamin levels checked and dose accordingly--as prescribed.

It should stop soon. Hang in there!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:06 AM

I had and still have on an occasion this: http://en.wikipedia....aryngeal_reflux , even on a gluten free diet. I'm taking Nexium for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: