This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newly Diagnosed with Questions

L.J.

L.J. Rookie

Forgot to say Thanks! :D

and open to other people's opinions on this one too!.... I seriously am considering other options maybe??? <_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GFinDC Veteran

Hi LJ,

If you are sure you are allergic to one of them, it seems pointless to test that one. I don't know if you can have an anaphylactic reaction to a skin applied allergen. I think the breathing part would be dependent on breathing it in or ingesting it. I am somewhat allergic to cats. So when I pet Muffin-head and then rub my eyes it gets irritated there. And I sneeze sometimes too. But I have never had a severe reaction like anaphylaxis either, so my reactions may be much milder than yours.

Have you watched Doomsday Preppers? Some of those people get white plastic full body suits to wear in case a pandemic hits. They said they aren't real expensive. :)

I think it is good hubby is going to be there for the testing, if you do it. I imagine the doctor will apply the test strips in the office and then have you wait a while to see if you develop symptoms quickly? Then if you are doing ok in an hour or so send you on your merry way. Tra-la tra-la!

New Years is often a day that people eat "special" foods though. That could be a conflict with the allergen testing if you have s special food for New Years that you eat and it causes a reaction. Say you always eat roasted ground hog and truffles on a pine board for New Years, but have developed a reaction to it since last years. That could interfere or cause symptoms that might confuse the allergen testing strip results. Probably you shouldn't eat anything for New years, but just drink plain water. Yep, that's the ticket LJ, plain water for NY.

I suppose you could cheat a little and have your ground hog a few days ahead of the actual NY day celebration? Around here we don't do ground hog, but do black eyed-peas and sauerkraut.and ham.

If you do turn out to be allergic to plastics you can switch to glass pretty easily. I was just kidding about it being too difficult to do. People got along fine without plastics not that long ago after all. And they didn't have to live in bubbles or wear funny looking suits either. Maybe what you need is a time machine eh?

Can your doctor shed any light on the possibility of severe reactions and what to do? Maybe have some Benedryhl or other anti-histamines ready and an epinephrine injector? That way your hubby could shoot you up right at home. No trip to the alley needed.

Open Original Shared Link

I kinda think doing all three test strips at once is more confusing. It might be better to spread the testing out over several weekends. But that is just me. Muffin says she is good either way. :)

squirmingitch Veteran

No LJ, I would not do it. But that's me. You have to make your own decision. I like gluten-free's idea of spreading the testing out over several weeks though.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Greetings LJ,

Fermentation is adding bacteria or yeast to food. They change it to something else. For example bread, cheese, and acoholic drinks are fermented. Fermentation in many foods brings out a sour flavor. Sour Crowt and sour cream are examples of that.

Good foods for me. I tried to start a post on this, but it started and ended with me. I am not sure why.

Almonds

chicken

cucumber

buckwheat

eggs (poached)

meats

bananas

You might have some of the same ones, but yours can be different too. It can give you a few ideas to try. If you do have problems with fermentation; we share that on the negative side.

I hope you will soon find it easy and get well,

Diana

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

I had this done about 10 years ago, I think also 3 panels.

For me, it was tons of tiny metal discs, about the size of a watch battery maybe 6-7mm.

I only came up allergic to 1 thing, nickel. The dermatologists advice was to tell my husband I couldn't wear cheap jewelry :)

It was uncomfortable but that was all the tape, and getting a bit sweaty underneath. The one which did react was just a little red patch, looked a bit like eczema and cleared up in a couple of days with cream. My son just had a skin prick test and it looked like his reaction to almond, which he has an anaphylactic reaction to. The amounts are tiny and on the skin.

I did have an interesting patterns on my back where they tested for clothes dye which took a few days to fade.

I am not saying do it, just saying how it was for me. You will probably want to get confirmation about the things you are anaphylactic to beforehand. Maybe you could ask to remove the things you have known allergies to. It is possible I guess that it may give more info e.g. if there were cross reaction going on

I actually had my best advice from other conversations with the dermatologist and discovered that the 'natural' essential oils I was using in the bath were causing most of my skin problems.

Good luck whatever you decide

L.J. Rookie

Hi all!

Well, thank you for all of the info and ideas! I am going with the white plastic body suit that FPinDC suggested. Of course, I looked up one chemical and it is in plastic--so the body suit would definitly do a number on me! :lol: Plus, imagine the sweat from the plastic covering up my entire skin! Sounds like a nightmare... ;)

I already take Benadryl at night and a day time non-drowsy antihistimine every day...For probably 4-5 months. :rolleyes: Epi-pen is always with me--but my dr. said if I had an another Anaphalactic that I *HAD* to go to the ally...i.e. hospital/call 911.... :ph34r:

Hubs and I talked last night--he is not convinced that it is a good idea. He sees me having more energy, and feeling better--and he also thinks that I will have fairly big reactions to the strips. Because they are on for the three days, they do absorb into the body--which is why the Allergist wants me to do them--that means if they are in my body and I am highly allergic--Anaphalactic becomes a real possibility-- :ph34r: I will talk with him again about "worse case scenarios"--but when I did the food scratch tests--I had big welts within the 15 minutes that they were on-- all over my back. They gave me cream and a strong antihistimine once they took them off.

I find it very difficult to "cheat" with foods--a bit of alcohol on the weekends is the biggest cheat for me--but it does not seem to bother me much--(I think anyway) It is one specific type of alcohol---what one asks? Jack Daniels....believe it or not it seems to be the only thing that has alcohol in it that I can have a bit of...So, NY day, I will stick to my regular gluten-free menu--with or without the strips.

Bottom line, I am presently feeling that I do not want to do them. I am positive that my back will react--or that I will fall downnnnnnn and lose all progress that I have gained by polluting my body with tons of chemicals absorbing into my bod. Ich :ph34r: :ph34r:

I'm glad Muffin is doing well :D

The only other thing I have been wanting to share here for a moment is that we unexpectedly had to put our youngest Golden Retriever to sleep on Tuesday. She had a very quick growing type of cancer that large dogs get--In 7 days, she went from running and eating--to not being able to move. The day we took her in, she was in bad shape. The tumor had hemmoraged, and she was full of blood. (Sorry if this is too graphic) Her body was shutting down...quickly. Not able to breathe--and once it started--she lost ground fast. The Vet took a tiny bit of fluid from her--but it was all blood. He was kind of shocked and did not know how to tell us that GinGin's time was up. We knew from the blood that her time was up. (It was not supposed to be blood--only fluid). So we held her and put her to sleep. :( We still miss her. She was one of our animals that we thought was healthy and not "old"... But it was her time...

Perhaps that is why hubs and I are a bit leery of these damnable (hope I am not censored for that word) chemical tests. We have been reminded as life so often does, that we never know when our time is up--nor can we predict it...Putting me through intense chemical tests I believe makes us both very nervous--especially now... :unsure:

Trying to stay on a positive note--I am hangin' in there--and am going to relax and enjoy my day today....Some knitting on one project for a present left to do...Thanks for all my GFF (gluten-free Friends!) :D

L.J. Rookie

Hi All,

So, I am posting to my own post--(Is that politically correct to do??? :D ) Probably not! But....I am going to- Please bear with me!

I am 99.9% certain that I am not going to do the chemical tests on NY's eve. First, my body is finally getting "cleared" or cleansed of the build-up that I have had for a long time. :P Yay! Second, with my body getting cleansed out more, I am feeling better. :D Yay!

And Lastly, I don't want to "dump" a ton of chemicals into me that I know I will react to and have to "start over" with cleansing them out and lose the positive gains that I have spent months working on to get! :D Yay!

Down the road, should I feel compelled to do the chemical tests--They will still be there! I can always do them later should I choose to. It is not like I am going to remodel my house if I find out that I am allergic to chemicals in the carpet, etc. etc...... Soooooooooo,

I am NOT going to do them! This post gave me the thinking time to get to 100% certain! No Chemical tests on NY's eve! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks to All of you who helped me think this process through! I so appreciate all of the feedback I get from you all! :D :D :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

Losing a younger dog is such a shock. We lost our younger newf/retriever cross last year in the space of a few hours, this vibrant dog went from healthy and running around, to having a massive seizure out of the blue, of which he never really recovered, and we live too far away to get them there in the required 10 minutes before damage sets in, then he seized again at the vets office after he was quiet, and we had to say okay, stop resusitating. The vet's assistants were crying with us.

We ended up adopting another retriever cross, same half bred crossed with ?, and the crazy thing is, she has the same mannerisms, only she was obviously socialized a as puppy, so she is a bit bolder than our shy one was ! The weirder thing was that both these newf crosses just could not eat wheat products at all. Must be a line of them out here in this part of the country which has this trait.

L.J. Rookie

Hi Takala! I so appreciate your understanding and kind words about my beloved dog...It is always a surprise it seems. That is "weird" meaning unusual--that both dogs could not eat wheat products! I believe your dog found the perfect owner to handle that problem though! ;):)

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Glad you got some clarity bet it is a relief to let it go. Reckon you are going to have a much more relaxed Christmas

:)

GFinDC Veteran

Saving the tests and possible stress for later sounds like a good plan LJ. It's good to have something to look forward to? Of course in 6 to 12 months you may have all your food issues figured out without any tests, and not need them. What a shame that would be! :)

Well, if the plastic suits don't work they do make regular cloth coveralls like welders and mechanics wear. I guess those could do as a sub in a pinch... Coveralls are actually fairly comfortable and warm too.

Sorry about the puppy passing. It seems so much better to me to go ahead and let them go instead of making them hang on. But I know it can be upsetting too, so sympathy hugs abound! ((((((hugs))))))

I took a couple antihistamines recently myself. Muffin head was getting the better of me with my allergies. Darn things make me tired tho. Do they do that to you?

Looks like groundhog is back on the menu for NY's then eh?

squirmingitch Veteran

Dear LJ, I am so sorry to hear about your dog. It's always hard to lose one. :( They are like our children and it rips our heart out just the same. (I know some one is going to rag on me about that but GET OVER IT! It IS like losing a child). And it takes time to heal from it. Sometimes I think we never fully heal from it. Big hugs to you &amp; your hubby. (((((((LJ &amp; Hubs))))))))

I am glad to hear you have thought through this testing!!!!! Yes, it will be there a year from now if you choose to do so then or 2 years from now or when ever. Just work on healing now my friend. That's enough of a job!

PS, In case I didn't say it ~~~~~ cats & dogs should be gluten free, not only for you but for themselves. Dogs are allergic to wheat, corn & soy. My dog has been gluten-free longer than hubs & I . She was gluten-free since the day she came to us.

L.J. Rookie

Hi My GFF's!

Thank you so much for the kind and comforting words regarding my beloved GinGin...(The house is sooooo quiet without her) She was the one who snored, farted, coo'd, whacked her tail about, and was *constantly* by your side! :lol: We did the right and only thing to do--let her pass. We miss her tho....

Regarding the decision on NO CHEMICAL tests...One big giant whewwwww! :lol: Yes, the holidays will be calmer and more healing without the chemical dumping of horrendous wastes into my body! Yay!

The cover alls FP, are a great idea now that you thought of it! :lol: :lol: :lol: A warm flannel shirt too underneath? Bagggy coveralls (blue jean ones are my preference) and maybe a pair of heels to dress the outfit up for work, yes???? :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh, what a sight! :D

Also, FP, yes the Benadryl makes me very sleepy. So I take them only at night. They work well for my rashes, etc. as well as my other allergies. In the day, I take Non-Drowsy "Wal-Itin"--Walgreens. (I do not work for and own stock in either one) Just one thing that does not affect my body in any way--except no runny noses, headaches, etc.!!! :D I do not even get "jittery" from them! I hope they can work for you! (Keep the Benadryl for nights--otherwise--you may end up falling asleep in the middle of one of your oil paintings! Oh what a sight *that* would be--to see your precious work end up upon your face covered with oil paints... :lol:

Thank you all for the hugs, understanding and comfort! How are you all doing? (Besides falling asleep and ending up in Maryland?) LOL :lol: I guess you would have to be on a long subway or train to end up in Maryland, eh FP? :lol: :lol:

GFinDC Veteran

Doing ok here LJ. :) Thanks for asking. The anti-histamines didn't end me up in Maryland, but I can see that being possible. Actually I was driving that day, but only a mile and a half. So not a problem. And I didn't get sleepy till after I arrived, so no problem there either. Falling asleep in the oil paint would certainly be colorful! :) So far that hasn't happened tho. If I get tired painting it's better to take a break I think. I don't take the anti-histamines very often, but there is a Walgreens not too far away so I may stop in there and look for their brand of them.

I think you'd look pretty sporty in blue jean coveralls. Yep, you can wear a full suit of clothes under them if you get the large ones, which is very toasty in the cold weather. Great big steel-toed leather boots would go good with them too. Tractor Supply has a nice selection. :)

Well, enjoy your chemical-free NY's day then. Just think, next year we won't have to hear about the Mayan calendar all the time. And we will be splattered at the bottom of the fiscal cliff, (or not) so the talking heads will need to think up a different phrase to opine about. I might join you in a little liquid refreshment for NY's. Maybe I'll drink a toast to all the GFF's out there.

L.J. Rookie

Oh FP, you do make me laugh! :lol:

I could *never* wear steel toed boots with my coveralls and (I still prefer the flannel shirt)--it would be high heels that match my shirt colors. Black would do, but maybe a bright blue or for the holidays--red heels. Now that's a sporty outfit. (You probably did not think the heels through, eh?) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad you didn't end up in Maryland--also glad you won't ruin your beautiful art by falling asleep in the middle of it! ;)

And to New Years--I think I too will imbibe a tad--and drink a toast to my GFF's too! :P (What *Is* your drink of choice? since you rarely imbibe??? :rolleyes: Scotch is my guess...We shall see, eh?

I'll be off the site for a few days--these next 3-4 days are busy--but will check in whenever possible! TaTa! B)

OK, a P.S. editing comment! I have *also* been known to toast with a *straight up shot* ....

of H20, the good kind of water--out of the glass bottles. A treat in itself. (Just in case you want to keep your Monk apparal on for NY's! :lol: :lol: :lol:

GFinDC Veteran

Think the heels thru, think the heels thru... Hmm, heels require thinking eh? Not in my neck of the woods they don't! :)

Well, your outfit does sound like it will be more flashy and colorful. You can always paint the boot heels a different color tho, no problem doing that every day in fact.

No Scotch for me. Maybe a little bourbon or rum. Or some water from a glass sounds ok too.

See you when you get back from Oz LJ. We will keep a light burning for ya.

candle1.webp

GottaSki Mentor

Oh LJ - So sorry to hear of the loss of your pal --I am still not over the sudden death of my 12 year old timberwolf shepard named Mikuyi -- she died 20 years ago but was my first "babydog".

Huge hugs to you!

Also glad you are giving the chem testing a pass over the holidays - I think fp is right on this one - given time you will figure a lot more out on your own.

And one more big HUG headed your way

L.J. Rookie

Hi All!

I have a few minutes, so wanted to see what was cooking! :P

Wow FP, I am speechless with the beauty of the candles glowing...and you know I am not speechless often! ^_^ That is an amazingly beautiful picture! I do appreciate the simple beauties of our world--and you just sent one of the rare beauties...light! Thank you for an amazing glowing image--I will "see it in my mind's eye all day today!" ... :) Truly...

Hi GottaSki, thank you for your kind words about my GinGin--she was the "healthy one" we thought. The 25+ year old cat (Khaki) is hungry and wants canned food as often as possible, every 3 minutes is her request...and the 24 year old cat Sampson is sleeping in the closet only to come out to visit when I am on the computer. My wonderful male Golden Retriever has the rampant and nasty Valley Fever (AZ disease) that in some animals (and people) *never* goes away...He is one. On 2 meds twice a day....Who would have thought it would be GinGin to go first with that list??? We miss her still...But we all know we can't predict when someone's time is up.

Which brings me to a more positive thought :D Let us value the small beauties of light that fill our lives! --whether they be beautiful gifts from GFF's :D , animals who love unconditionally :) , or the people in our lives who care and listen/talk when we need to (and vice versa)... :lol: That's all of the philosophy of thankfulness for me today! :lol: :lol:

FP--I guess I got my words back after being speechless, eh? :lol: Talk soon my GFF's! ;)

• 1 year later...
SMRI Collaborator

Can I resurrect this old thread?  I keep getting directed to this but it's old :D.  Is there something out there to use to test food to see if it is gluten free or not--maybe something like diabetic testing strips??  I'm just wondering about CC mostly, say oats or something that is supposed to be gluten-free but might not be because of CC?

• 5 months later...
Gwensmom Newbie

This is my third attempt at posting here. My first one just sounded pathetic. My second one soundeded lame. I will see if this post can say what I am wanting to say. smile.gif

I am highly allergic to gluten and nuts. I instantly went into Denial and ate everything I could with gluten and peanuts in it. This was a very bad idea. I reacted strongly and got very sick in multiple ways. The positive note is that I quickly accepted that I cannot eat gluten or nuts! I also found that I cannot eat chocolate sad.gif

I have been on Prednasone for two months now. I am beginning to wean off slowly. In about another month I should be off of it. I really do not want to be on the Prednasone, but being off scares me too. I know this makes no sense, but it is true.

I also get afraid to eat. Is this normal? (I do not have an "eating disorder")

It just seems like I react to foods that I thought were OK. My doctor mentioned that I may be reacting to "fermentation". I really do not know what that means!?!? He wants to test me for that when I am off the Prednasone.

I cried after my first attempt to post--It is the first time I have cried since finding this information out. I find this to be pathetic too. Especially when I see all of the positive posts and the foods that I *can* eat! Perhaps this is part of the process of figuring this all out, yes?

Anyway, this is a great site--and I am sure that I will be utilizing the site often! Thanks to all who have shared there experiences and found foods that we can eat!

Today was my first post and I know what you mean about rewriting. My first post seemed really bad. So, I completely changed it.

It is hard to completely chnge how you eat and be sad that you can't eat that way anymore. I try not to think about it.

Archived