32 replies to this topic

#31 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

Just to clarify for you - peanuts are legumes, not nuts. I actually stored this information in some tiny corner of my brain from nutrition class as a youngster - but brain fog didn't let me access it until I was educating myself about food chemistry after Celiac diagnosis.

Eliminating many food groups is tough and may not be necessary - but it can't hurt and very well may help. Not sure what your medical team will suggest, but I would not go longer than six months without trialing the removed foods individually with at least three days to a week between trials while keeping a detailed food symptom log. There are many healthy foods you may be able to reincorporate into your diet.

Good Luck :)

Exactly (peanuts are legumes, as are probably other "nuts" from the ground).

And eggs are NOT dairy (milk). They are eggs, technically a protein.

You need to educate yourself about food. You need to be able to discern if what you are reading, hearing, and doing are correct.

If someone tells you something, look it up. Does it sound reasonable? Because doctors (all types) and nutritionists toss random crap out there. Some of it is good advice, and some of it is opinion, outdated, nebulous, or just flat-out WRONG.

There are excellent resources out there for people dealing with AI issues. People who have DONE IT. Not just professionals who give advice, talk the talk, but don't walk the walk. And while professionals (MD's, MD's, nutritionists,RD's) can give excellent advice and on some days save your life, it is rare to find one who has "walked the walk".

And if more followed the advice they dished out, AI management would be light years ahead, IMO.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 RuskitD

RuskitD

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

I wish I could offer you help with the cookbooks or links, but I do not. I just wanted to stop in and offer a HUGE GENTLE HUG. I know it is frustrating to deal with all of this and with a foggy mind on top of it.
I hope your answers come soon!

#33 Aly1

Aly1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

I've got to say that I think Dejibo is right - she came here for support and was feeling overwhelmed, and the response she got was to have her current diet picked apart and having to defend it. She didn't ask anyone what they thought of her diet. It would be one thing to have a single person gently warn about being lead astray by people with the best intentions who might or might not have the right background to help her, but to be questioned several times on its validity isn't cool. Someone asked, she answered. If this is the path she wants to take with her health, that is totally her right. If she'd asked for opinions on it it would be another thing entirely. How about some white kid gloves for someone who's been through it and is already overwhelmed. :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: