9 replies to this topic

#1 SMDBill

SMDBill

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:04 AM

I was glutened a week ago today. I feel so much better now, but it has been a difficult week with pain, D, C, D again, muscle weakness and pain, headache (haven't had one since gluten-free). What is your secret to healing as quickly as possible? Probiotics? Other supplements? Foods?

I started taking VitaCost 20Bil probiotics and I noticed some faster healing, but that could be coincidental with the timing of natural healing...just not sure at this point. I take double the dose right now and will cut to normal dose on Tuesday. That'll be one week of double dosing to help heal the damage this past week caused. SHould I be taking other steps?

Looking for your best secrets to managing times when getting glutened to make future events hopefully less painful. Thanks everyone!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

I've heard L-glutamine can help with the healing. Luckily I haven't been glutened recently so I haven't personally tried it out.

I'm glad you are feeling better. :)
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

I havent tried any supplements to help healing but my go-to has been some rice to bind things up in there (I tend to get D when I get glutened), home made chicken broth (which I keep frozen until I need it), and a good old heating pad that seems to relieve some of the cramping and abdominal pain during the initial stages. Don't know if this will be a help to you, but I figured I'd share!!

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#4 Persei V.

Persei V.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:25 AM

Homeopathic medicine. Maybe it's just the placebo effect, though at least it tames my symptoms (they are not baaad, per se, just bloating and uncomfortableness, though for someone who spent nine years with constant stomach cramps and vomiting, anything can be pretty unsettling).

Also, I tend to juice fast for eight hours or so and it usually works well.
Lactose free: 8/6/2006
Gluten and dairy free: 5/2/2012
Grain free: 11/12/2012

I am able to eat somre processed foods again (chocolate, lollipops, soysauce).

#5 SMDBill

SMDBill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:55 AM

Thanks everyone! Your ideas will come in handy for next time.

#6 dreacakes

dreacakes

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

Cry?? :P

No, really... I guzzle every anti-inflammatory thing I can possibly think of. Aloe juice, chamomile tea, ginger tea, nettle infusion, etc. This supplement was always helpful too:
http://www.naturalhe...energetics.html
Debilitating tendonitis in both arms in 2003, at age 23, declared "permanent and stationary" by workman's comp doctors.
Fibromyalgia diagnosis in 2010.
Mild hyperthyroidism diagnosis 2011.
Disc Degeneration diagnosis 2012.
Life long battle with hypoglycemia.
Gluten Free since 2010. On Paleo-type diet since May 2011.
Suffered years of brain fog, back spasms, nausea, and recurring connective tissue pain and injuries. After years of misdiagnosis, I did my own elimination diet and discovered a severe reaction to wheat gluten and casein. After going on a grain free, nightshade free, Paleo-ish diet, my symptoms are nearly gone, and I FINALLY KICKED THE BRAIN FOG!
Cheers to health! <3

#7 KMMO320

KMMO320

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

Usually, I just go to bed. Whether it's a nap, or down for the night. I usually at least feel functional after wards. I am only a month of being gluten free. Before, when I was trying to be gluten-free but would slip, I would feel sick but nothing major. Now that I am a month free, it hits me a little harder than I expect it to. I ate 2 bites of my daughters donut 2 weeks ago and I was so sick, sicker than I had ever been and it took me a few days to really come out of it. Then, yesterday, I accidentally licked my fingers after cutting the kids a slice of cake. I didnt even think about it, it just happened and after ward I though, oh no! But then I thought, ehhh a lick isn't going to hurt me. But within an hour, I was very sick, headache, nauseous, foggy head, etc.

I am sure pretty soon just sleeping it off won't help. I am learning as I go. But that is what I do for now. Tylonal and sleep.

#8 SMDBill

SMDBill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

Wow KMMO320, that's some rough punishment you've endured lately. I will give the some ibuprofen or something a shot, but my pain lasted 3-4 days so I kinda fear doing it to myself. That cake incident had to be pretty scary when you caught yourself.

#9 Dejibo

Dejibo

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:16 AM

My daughter discovered charcoal tabs (gluten-free) helped her greatly after she discovered a wait staff had brought a dish with gluten by mistake. She said she will keep them on hand forever now.

#10 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

Pepto Bismol and lots of water, plus aspirin. Avoid sugary things as they can make the bloating worse.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: