Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Looks Like My Daughter Inherited My Genes. :(

6 posts in this topic

I was diagnosed earlier this year and was waiting to get my kids screened until their next well child visit. My daughter started having some tummy issues that didn't resolve in the normal time if it had been a virus so I took her in and request the celiac panel. I don't have the results in hand but her iga was normal but TTG slighly elevated (normal is less than 4 and hers was 6). She has been gluten-light since my diagnosis as our main meals are always gluten-free to avoid cc so my guess is the low number is due to that. We've now been referred to a pediatric GI. We were able to get an appt at Univ of MD next Monday (yay!). I'm fully expecting a celiac diagnosis and I've been trying to get her mentally prepared for that. On to my question... do you think they will push for an endoscopy? A positive ttg is a postive, right? My gut says the positive ttg plus family history will be enough and I really don't want to put her through the procedure. I know it's a standard low-risk procedure. I had one and it wasn't bad just hate to put a child through that if it's not absolutely necessary and especially since she's been gluten light for about 10 months. Would love to hear some opinions...

Ads by Google:

I have a positive IGA TTG and both genes, but a negative biopsy and the rest of the panel was negative. As far as i'm concerned, I have it.

There is something to consider though. She will be starting school soon, yes? To get accomodations, you have to have a positive dx. If so, she would be able to get a 504 plan and the school would have to accomodate her.

I have a positive IGA TTG and both genes, but a negative biopsy and the rest of the panel was negative. As far as i'm concerned, I have it.

There is something to consider though. She will be starting school soon, yes? To get accomodations, you have to have a positive dx. If so, she would be able to get a 504 plan and the school would have to accomodate her.

She's in 3rd grade (turning 9 tomorrow). What accomodations would she need exactly?

Lunch room accomodations, clean ups and what have yous. If they are doing a project (with plaster, playdough or whathaveyou item with wheat) she would need a substitute. If she is sick because of celiac then she'll be given time to make up the work without issue.

Celiac does fall under the ADA law (americans with disabilities act). Your best bet would be to call the school and ask to speak to the person who is in charge of the 504 plans. Tell them whats going on and see if they could give you some ideas of what they could do for her.

When i was that age, i was on a 504 plan for different things (see sig). They had a meeting with the teachers who would be teaching me and told them what i needed to have (ex. i had to sit in front row).

hope this helps some :) I know some things about such things.

I am going to be in the minority here I know but I'd retest her in 6 months. Did they do the Ema test? If that was positive, ignore me and go gluten-free now. It is 98-99% accurate. My daughter was tested when her sister had celiac. She had a slightly elevated TTg and neg on ema. 2 GI doctors told metro retest in 6 months. We did and she was normal. We will continue to retest her but I wasn't willing to put her on gluten-free for life for a weak positive on only one thing (all other panels were normal). If she still shows high in 6 months, go gluten-free.

Thanks for everyone's replies. An update: My daughter had her appt yesterday. All evidence points to celiac: ttg slightly elevated, slow growth (3rd percentile), recent tummy issues coupled with exhaustion and big mood swings. We have decided to move forward with an endoscopy following a long talk with the doctor. Bottom line, she needs it for an actual diagnosis and to get a baseline of the damage. She said this would be helpful if for any reason she doesn't improve on the gluten-free diet and needs to be rescoped in the future. It will also qualify her for various treatments that would be available in the future. She was seen by a doctor who does rotations in the Celiac Center at UMMS but the diagnosis would make her a patient at the Center for Celiac Disease Research. I want her to have access to the experts in the field so we're keeping her on gluten (surprisingly much to her dismay right now which I think is a sure sign she knows that's the culprit in what's making her sick) until the endoscopy can be done. I also called the pediatrician to get bloodwork ordered for my son to be tested before we convert to a fully gluten-free kitchen at home.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Testing After Celiac Disease if IgA deficient
      If you have Celiac Disease, and you are IgA deficient, what do they check on your labs to make sure you are not being "glutened"?
    • Weird Reaction
      Hi again Richie, A lot of coeliacs have a problem with coffee, maybe you do too. It could explain the shakes you describe. I am sensitive to coffee, and haven't touched caffeine since last summer. (The detox lasted for 10 days and it wasn't pleasant, so if you ever give it up, do it gradually).  Sometimes when you're intolerant to something, when you have it, it makes you feel 'better' but it doesn't last and usually end up worse, it's like a drug - and in the case of caffeine it is. I also take a daily probiotic (gluten free and dairy free etc)., which is good for healing the gut.
    • Weird Reaction
      Cristiana and Flowerqueen, I haven't been officially diagnosed as Celiac but I had a DNA test in March 2015 which revealed I had the Celiac gene on both sides so it was advised that I have a test to see if I did have it. I didn't but I went off gluten immediately and haven't "knowingly" eaten it since. Before the DNA test I didn't have the nausea and trembling type feelings that I do now but I occasionally got the shortness of breath which I used to put down to being a smoker. (I quit almost 16 years ago) Anyway, this morning I woke with the nausea feeling, the trembling, loss of appetite, feeling of doom again but it happens so intermittently. I do have some unavoidable stress in my life all of a sudden so maybe it's all connected some how. But on the plus side my bowel movements have returned to normal and I go often especially after waking and having coffee. (Oh, and Cristiana don't worry about tmi with me. You would have to try pretty hard to offend me and nobody has done it yet. haha) I always think the worse to. The internet and Google are great but information overload becomes a real possibility creating some frightening scenarios. It's just interesting that the coffee with the MCT Oil (Brain Octane is the actual name) and butter makes me start feeling better and the nausea, trembling, anxiety seem to be extinguished by it but coffee with low fat milk doesn't although I do get more energy from it. I did read somewhere that MCT Oil was good for gut health though and if I had to describe it it would be like it just smooths over all the bad stuff with a nice soft lining.  It was recommended in my DNA test that I have more fats in my diet and low processed foods but I occasionally have gluten-free biscuits, gluten-free ice-cream (my true weakness) and gluten-free weet-bix. I've checked most of these items ingredients and they are pretty good. There is a lot of gluten free rubbish out there though which I completely avoid. Thanks GFinDC for your reply. I was going to speak to my Naturopath when I see her about Immune Health. My plan usually involves the Liver Tonic I mentioned above and heavy on the L-Glutamine which, apparently, is supposed to be excellent for gastrointestinal health but I'm not going to supplement with anything just yet until I get my blood work done and see if it reveals any deficiencies. I'm suspecting Iron though. Because I've had recent tests all coming back good I'm thinking a possible scenario would be a die-off effect I've heard of where all the bad bacteria have been killed off but your body can't rid itself of them quick enough so you actually feel or get worse before you get better. That's where the detox strategy comes in and I'm assuming replacing them with Good Bacteria via Probiotics. Again, this is what I have read in the past but it does seem to make sense in some cases. I do feel better in having found these forums though.  
    • Daughter with celiac- need test result help
      You are doing well.  We didn't have a "normal" tTG for 6 years and were also very strict.  Kiddo was dx with hypothyroid as well and tTG fell a lot after getting on meds for that but still didn't normalize.  Finally cam down within the last 6 months (this after a trip to THE Celiac Dr. several years ago).  I wish we had done a DGP much earlier and I had pushed for that sooner.  I would start there and see what happens.     Sounds like you're doing everything right though. Sometimes it just takes time. 
    • Will my doctor test me? So many symptoms...
      Remember that you have to be eating a normal gluten diet for the testing so don't cut back & don't stop eating it. Make sure they do the full, current celiac panel: Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA
      Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG
      Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA
      Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA
      Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG
      Total Serum IgA   
      Also can be termed this way: Endomysial Antibody IgA
      Tissue Transglutaminase IgA 
      GLIADIN IgG
      GLIADIN IgA
      Total Serum IgA 
      Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• ChiaChick  »  Peaceflower

Hi Peaceflower, Just wanted to say thank you for the chat.
      · 0 replies
    • ukuleleerika

Hello! I am new to this Celiac website... Is there anyone out there with Celiac AND extensive food allergies? My allergies include shellfish, dairy, eggs, cantaloupe, kiwi, mango, nuts, oranges, red dye, and more I can't think of. I went to the allergist about a year ago to see why I wasn't feeling well, and once everything was eliminated, I still didn't feel well. We did more testing to find out I had celiac as well as allergies to cattle as well as rye grass (I live on a farm basically). This was back in January 2016. I recently had my endoscopy with the gastroenterologist a week ago. I have no idea what to do or what to eat... So fish and potatoes for me!
      · 2 replies
    • SLLRunner

Week 4 of the gluten challenge- wheat cereal every morning, regular bread every day, and wheat tortillas for my lunch wraps. Right now, body aches that seem exercise related (weight lifting and running), even though I am doing the same intensity of weight lifting and running I've always done.  Just a few more weeks until my blood test. Counting down the days.
      · 0 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    KKJ