19 replies to this topic

#16 adambryant

adambryant

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

Do routine blood tests implicate if thyroid is high or low?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 burdee

burdee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

Depends on what your doctor considers 'routine'. Specifically ask your doc for a thyroid panel including free t4, free t3, TPOab (thyroid peroxidase antibodies which indicate Hashimoto's which is highly correlated with gluten intolerance) and TSH. Most docs will only test TSH, which is not even a thyroid hormone, but a pituitary hormone which can indirectly suggest thyroid problems. However the other 3 tests are more useful in detecting specific thyroid problems and specific supplementary treatments.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#18 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

.... What Burdee said. :)

TSH is the thyroid stimulating hormone. It's numbers go up as your thyroid function goes down. The problem is that the numbers in the normal range often include those with symptoms of problems so doctors ignore the symptoms and go with the lab numbers. Plus people can have a pituitary that's not working great and a poor functioning adrenal can affect that test too.

TSH lab are somewhere between 0.2-6.0; most are closer to 0.5-3.5 in range. When I was feeling hypo (underactive thyroid) my TSH has ranged from a mid 2 to 6 to in the teens. My doctors ignored it when it was below a 7 even though I had many symptoms. :rolleyes:

Nicole: How are you doing now? If your thyroid supplement didn't resolve all your hypo symptoms (including 'cold, tired and low pulse'), you may not have a large enough dose or maybe you need a different brand or even different kind of thyroid supplement (i.e., combination t4/t3 or even t3 only, rather than t4 only). Most docs start with a t4 supplement like Synthroid or Levoxyl and just assume that your body easily converts t4 to t3. Some people don't (I'm one) and need more t3 or only t3 to resolve their symptoms. I spent a year trying different doses of t4 and t3 before I realized that I did better on t3 only. Few traditional docs consider t3 only, but many people do better on just t3. (See "Recovering with T3" by Paul Robinson.)

Thanks Burdee. I'm only 3 months into treatment and not near a good dose (synthroid) yet. I'll get there... eventually...and hopefully sooner than a year! Yikes! That must have been "fun".
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#19 adambryant

adambryant

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

Ahhh ok cheers. I think its just celiac to be honest(fingers crossed :D) as things are improving!

#20 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:24 AM

Ahhh ok cheers. I think its just celiac to be honest(fingers crossed :D) as things are improving!

The one thing celiac will teach you is patience... just wait a while and see what happens..... :D
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009