6 replies to this topic

#1 smpalesh

smpalesh

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

I am only on day 2 of gluten-free eating and I am being very careful. I guess I thought if I wasn't eating gluten foods that I would stop getting a stomach ache every time I ingest food. This morning I ate gluten-free honey chex (no milk) and about 45 minutes later I had a horrible stomach ache. Same thing awhile later when I ate a gluten-free tart from a gluten-free bakery. Am I going to keep having a stomach ache every time I ingest food?? How will I even know if going gluten-free is the right decision when it is still making me sick?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 DavinaRN

DavinaRN

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

It took about two weeks for me to really notice a difference. At first I just started feeling a little less sick. Hang in there.
Gluten Free since October 2012
Negative blood work, positive dietary response
Endocrinologist offered referral to GI if I needed formal diagnosis to follow the diet, otherwise just pass on wheat, barley & rye
and save my money

#3 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

Maybe try just some simple fresh foods for a while? Meat, fish, veg, fruit...

Some people find gluten-free products are ok as a treat, especially once you start feeling better
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#4 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

get off the processed stuff fully. Your body is still too raw to handle them.

#5 smpalesh

smpalesh

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

I am hoping I will not have to go dairy-free. 2/3 of my diet is smoothies (I do Visalus smoothies with lots of fresh fruit and skim milk). The smoothie mix itself is gluten-free but obviously not dairy-free. Maybe I could mix it with almond milk to at least reduce the amount of dairy. But I really don't want to cut it out completely bc the smoothies have really helped improve a lot of my nutritional deficiences.

#6 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

My stomach aches improved after about a week and was MUCH better after a couple of months. It takes a while to get better, and thje first few weeks can be tough if you experience withdrawl.

I would suggest going dairy free for a while too. Almond and coconut milks are tastey and often fortified with vitamins. For added protein, you can add vegan protein powders to your smoothies. Cow milk is not actually that nutritious without the added vitamins; the proteins and fats are good, but the calcium in milk is much harder to absorb than from plant sources.

Many celiacs find they can add milk back after half a year or so after their gut has healed. Since milk can actually cause some villi damage (as far as I have heard) in people with sensitivities to it, it's a good thing to cut for a while.

Best wishes.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

If you really do have celiac disease, you will have damage to the part of your small intestine which produces the enzyme which digests the lactase in milk. Therefore, the milk will cause just as much pain for your stomach as gluten, because it will not digest but putrefy, produce gas and cause bloating, cramping and diarrhea. After you have healed you should be able to handle milk again. I would strongly advise you to use almond, rice or hemp (or even coconut) milk instead of dairy milk in your smoothies. These milks are very flavorful and healthy for you. Trader Joe's makes a hemp protein powder you could add to your smoothies if you wanted. or add an additional protein powder of your choice..
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009