This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gas, Flatulence, And Healing My Annoying Insides

charisvet

charisvet Newbie

I have serious gas issues. As soon as I get rid of it, it builds up again! I make jokes of it since I am in college and have nice roommates. However, the flatulence is stinky, loud, and painful. The bloating is bad and it is relieved when the gas comes out. Coffee enemas help a lot, but I'm really tired of doing those.

I've been gluten free for a year and also have cut out dairy, soy, eggs, and corn. I have to eat really naturally and am very strict. I really try to limit anything questionable, and eat almost nothing refined.

I get glutened every few days from my roommates using flour, or accidentally when I eat food at someone's house (Thanksgiving ham gravy = gluten). It gets better in a few days and then I get glutened again. I know from a colonoscopy from before that I had little or no microvilli in my intestines. They were flat and probably covered in mucous.

What can I do? When will the gas and pain go away? What do the rest of you do to get rid of gas? When will healing finally come?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Imo, you need to get out of the gluteny enviorment if you are getting cc'd every few days. I'm wiling to bet once you stop getting cc'd then it'll stop.

rmbym12 Newbie

i really dont know, its a great question i am hoping more experienced people will answer. I was just diagnosed 3 months ago and while i understand it hasnt been that long i find myself furstrated and that im not 100% better by now. I thought when i found out it was great just change my diet around and all better, no meds, surgeries, whatever..., and i did get a little better but now it seems to have stalled. i just want to know if that normal or if im doing something wrong. this whole thing is frustrating and im starting to resent the whole diet. I dont why im becoming so bitter about it. i feel like everyone always says their depression or moodiness got better with the diet, but i feel like thats just starting with me. did anyone else go through something similar????

fyi gas x worked intially for me but then not so much i think just overused it idk but might not hurt to try (this ws before i was diagnosed havent checked the label or anything so just check before you do hope it helps/ also i give you a lot of credit for sticking with it while in college, but maybe you have to talk to your roomates again)

Chaff Explorer

rmbyr12 -- I have no words of wisdom, since I'm going through this, too, but I sympathize. It's the holiday season (and today's my birthday...yay...) and I can't even eat really plain food that I made myself, while everyone else is gorging on cookies, cake, and seaweed tempura (I'm in Japan, so this is the holiday food here).

It's crazy annoying, I have near-constant pain of some kind, not to mention brain fog and downward mood swings after I eat.

So far this website is my therapy: Open Original Shared Link That, and finding people on this forum who are also going through this.

GF Lover Rising Star

Make sure you've replaced appropriate kitchen items. Check all medications and supplements for gluten. Check pet foods, shampoos, lipsticks.

For the roommate situation. If you can't move, make sure you stock up on papertowels. Wipe down surfaces before preparing food. Also wipe down plate, glass and silverware as flour may settle on those items. Get your own condiments.

Lastly, educate your roommates about the damage that happens to your gut when you ingest gluten. It is a serious matter that needs to be treated as such. Hope this helps a bit.

Wishing you luck,

Colleen

gatita Enthusiast

I agree that getting glutened every few days is not acceptable! This is serious stuff. I'm sure your gas symptoms will improve once you get that under control.

Gas and bloating are among my major problems too but they're gotten much much better the longer I'm gluten-free. I did the gas-X too but now I don't have to. I've been gluten-free for 4 months and for the first 2-3 was getting accidentally glutened all the time, too, so I feel your pain. I've learned to just quit taking chances on eating out, eating at friends' etc. It's been hard, but slowly my friends and I are finding other ways to socialize that don't revolve around food.

Persei V. Enthusiast

Seriously, DON'T get glutened every few days. For realz. Now it's only gas and flatulence, but it will get worse if you keep going like this because the damage will build up. Follow the gluten-free diet strictly and you'll see improvement.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived