Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

If Celiac Is Caught And Treated Early Is There Still Risk For Other Autoimmune?

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 guest134

guest134

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

As some of you know I may be diagnosed with early celiac. If my ab's don't go down and it is proven celiac and we treat it am I still at risk for developing other autoimmune diseases? We already checked 15 different antibodies, negative for everything so as of right now it is just the possibility of early celiac. Thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

It is always possible to develop one. I think the fact that ya have one already puts ya at a slightly higher risk, but treating it early enough probably stopped it from getting any higher.

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

That is a very good question. I doubt anyone can give you odds on this one. All autoimmune disorders are top on my list for much more research needed.

What I can tell you is if your next round of antibody tests does not have lower numbers -- I would advise you (as I would my own children) -- to remove ALL gluten for at least three months - six is better - then test blood again to see if antibodies are reduced.

AI symptoms can occur with celiac disease - without "classic" symptoms.

You have done a great deal of research - I believe you will find a good path that will lead to health and limit the risks that gluten may cause you.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#4 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

From what I've read, yes, once your body has started making antibodies against itself you are more likely to develop another autoimmune disease than someone who does not have AI diseases. Some medical circles are even starting to classify the diseases into groups: celiac disease falls into the Type III Polyglandular Autoimmune Syndrome. Heres's a quick overview:
http://emedicine.med...124398-overview

It makes sense to me when I consider my own personal experiences because my immune system has attacked my intestine, thyroid and platelets, and I suspect it is attacking my soft connective tissues too.

Celiac disease is not the main link in this syndrome, it's thyroiditis that is the common disease. I do wonder if my celiac had been discovered earlier if I would have devloped my problems but after reading about all the diseases and how they often overlap, I kind of doubt it was the cause... although it might have helped it to appear earlier in my life that it might have otherwise.

This is just my opinion and interpretation of what I've read though. I could be way off.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

I was talking to a prof of Weil Cornell the other night, and she confirmed that a) we don't know much about these disorders, especially because they involve multiple organs, and B) it is more correct to talk of "a condition of autoimmunity" rather than of singular diseases, ie a body's tendency to attack its own tissues.

That said, you may create antibodies and never develop the disease: my endo has arthritis rheumatoid, and has had antithyroid antibodies for twenty years, but she never developed thyroid disease.
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: