Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Muscle Tension A Frequent Celiac Problem Or Rare?

4 posts in this topic

I have one more question and I promise ill stop posting until I go to the doctors again. My main symptom apart from digestive problems is muscle tension/ pain.I get frequent back of the neck tension and aches, upper back and shoulder tension, sometimes ill also get muscle pain like a sun burn but under neath the skin.And lastly like a lower back ache , but minor,and muscle weakness if I eat the wrong stuff like McDonald mcmuffins ,donuts etc but usually the day after and not right away.Since my digestion is either sloth slow or in overdrive. Just wondering because I have read recent posts but I don't see a lot of muscle problems ??

Ads by Google:

Hello

I don't know if this is valid for everybody but yes, in my personal experience celiac disease has a close relation to muscle tension although I don't know why. In my worse month pre-diagnosis, last November, I had a headache every single day, generally around the left eye or the left temple, sometimes just a distant thump thump sometimes strong pains. I had read celiac disease and headaches were related but was very worried. Then I went to my dentist and she touched my jaw and did I jump on that chair... To make a long story short: I have been suffering from tension headaches from the extreme tension in my jaw, but I felt the ache around the eye and in the neck. I have been clenching my jaws at night for years and I do have a bite but it never was THAT bad. It's been much better since going gluten free and I believe it might get better still in time (up to a few years ago I did not clench my jaws at all..) I have read several topic with people saying they clenched or ground their teeth at night and the problem seemed to get better going gluten free.

My sister and I (sister also celiac) had a terrible teeth-clenching problem before gluten free. I had also extreme muscle tension throughout my body, which did not relax with massage therapy. I took a relaxation class, and the more I tried to relax a part of the body, the greater the tension became :rolleyes:

I still have some problems with my legs and shoulders, but no longer clench my teeth.

Great info for me,thank you very much for the responses this gives me hope