This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chilis Nanuet, New York

DarkSideAngel

DarkSideAngel Newbie

Hi All,

Just a complaint I guess you could say. About a month ago my family went to Chili's for dinner. I have recently been diagnosed with severe celiac disease, so I am very careful about where and what I eat. Upon telling our waitress that I needed a gluten free menu she was very pleased to go and get one for me. I looked on the menu and was happy to see The Ribs available. I ordered with two gluten free sides. Upon returning home I immediately knew that gluten had been in something. I went on line to look up the menu, there I saw The ribs with Original, Memphis Rub or the Stoner Bock BBQ Sauce. I ordered the Ribs with the Stoner Bock Sauce. I looked up the recipe to see if there were any items that jumped out at me, no so I then went to the original recipe for Stoner Bock, it includes malt vinegar.... ah hah! I wrote the company a very nice letter and asked that they remove it from the gluten free menu so that others didnt get sick from it. Well, I received this past Sunday an almost rude response telling me that it was NOT on the gluten free menu, Really now? How else would I have known, I didnt look at the regular menu and it was online even when I looked. I looked at the site menus after this email and guess what, they removed the option for Stoner Bock BBQ Sauce. How horrible that they could not have at least said we didnt realize and yes we will remove it. Sorry for the inconvenience, instead they lied to me. I am very disappointed in Chilis!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luvs2eat Collaborator

I've not had good experiences at Chili's... the only chain of that type in my town. I'm pretty sure the Shiner Bock ribs are NOT on the gluten-free menu... cause Shiner Bock beer would be used in the sauce, right??

The time before the last time I was there, I went thru the whole gluten-free thing w/ the manager and wait person only to be halfway thru my salad and finding a few flour tortilla strips! They told me that the salad mixes are in tubs in the back and somehow some of the mix containing the tortilla strips got into my salad. I didn't eat anymore. The last time I was there, I ordered another salad and told them about my last experience. This time the entire salad was filled w/ tortilla strips!! I sent it back, didn't eat anything, and haven't been back since.

Archived