7 replies to this topic

#1 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

My gosh here lately, I am so so stiff and achy. I feel like I have the flu but I am not sick. I went to the dr. for this and was tested for lupus, RA, MS, Thyroid came back ok and arthritis and the blood work all came back ok except for elevated liver enzymes that I assume will straighten out after some time on the diet.

I am so tired of being stiff and achy. Any ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

Massage?
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#3 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

I have been feeling like that. I started taking a beginner yoga for people with physical challenges. And I have been exercising more and my joint pain and stiffness seems to be going away.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#4 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

weather?

#5 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

I had horrible joint pain along with my GI stuff when all this started last year. I am sooo happy to say that after 6 months gluten-free all the pain and stiffness are gone.

Maybe it's a matter of time??

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#6 NorthernElf

NorthernElf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:51 AM

I hear you. I have run the whole gamut of tests like you as well - everything is 'normal' except for the fact that I hurt ! The rheumy said I likely just have tendonitis......in my hands, wrists, elbows....runners knees....why do my ankles & feet hurt ? Neck pain and stiffness ? He doesn't know. Fatigue ? Doesn't know.

Guess I will just wait & see if anything develops. Cold weather is definitely worse...and I make sure I get enough rest. Sometimes that's just sitting down with a coffee or tea and relaxing here & there. Sometimes bloodwork doesn't show some conditions right away or at all. It is very frustrating.

I am very carefully gluten-free so I don't relate it to gluten at all.....only so far as celiac being an autoimmune and a chance of other autoimmune things developing.

#7 dreacakes

dreacakes

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

I had these issues too. Joint pain, stiff, achy, easily got tendinitis, even had muscle spasms and other issues. All other autoimmune disorders tested negative, and no swelling at the sites of the pain. They told me I had "fibromyalgia" and just tried to give me pain pills. I declined!

What healed me was going on a totally grain free Paleo diet, and cutting out nightshade plants as well. The pain is due to inflammation from leaky gut, which won't heal on a regular gluten-free diet, and also from nutrient deficiencies due to the gut damage.

I also take sub-lingual B12 supplements and fermented cod liver oil (a great source of vitamin D, low levels of this nutrient are linked to pain. This is the best brand: http://www.greenpast.../Home/index.cfm) Make sure you're eating foods with cholesterol in them as well, as it is actually essential to proper vitamin D absorption.

This condition is super common, I actually saw a doctor in Berkeley who knew exactly what it was and how to treat it, he was the one who got me on this diet in the first place.
The diet is really limiting, but totally worth it, I promise. If you need more info feel free to message me. :)

If you have a Kindle or reader, this book is helpful too: http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B0092FZKK4

I hope you feel better soon!
Debilitating tendonitis in both arms in 2003, at age 23, declared "permanent and stationary" by workman's comp doctors.
Fibromyalgia diagnosis in 2010.
Mild hyperthyroidism diagnosis 2011.
Disc Degeneration diagnosis 2012.
Life long battle with hypoglycemia.
Gluten Free since 2010. On Paleo-type diet since May 2011.
Suffered years of brain fog, back spasms, nausea, and recurring connective tissue pain and injuries. After years of misdiagnosis, I did my own elimination diet and discovered a severe reaction to wheat gluten and casein. After going on a grain free, nightshade free, Paleo-ish diet, my symptoms are nearly gone, and I FINALLY KICKED THE BRAIN FOG!
Cheers to health! <3

#8 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

I also get the achiness, definitely after being glutened (for a couple days at least), but often without any link to something I might have eaten. I usually think it's sitting around too long at work or at home, but then why are my arms all achy and tingly?
They are right now, actually, and I know I have not eaten anything that could have been ccd with gluten/dairy/soy in over a week, but it started after I had a banana earlier this morning. So I don't get it.

I haven't been tested for arthritis or anything like that (maybe should? it runs in my family, but gad! I hope I'm too young for that to kick in now!), but it could be my vitamin levels or that "mild gastritis" still hasn't healed. I don't know!

GFreeMO, do you feel kind of jittery/tingly/unsteady as well?

It could just be that it's the middle of the winter and that's bad enough (depending on where you live).

Hope you figure it out!

Good to hear the Paleo diet is working for you, Dreacakes. I'm kind of too chicken to try it out. Yet.

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: