arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Recent Convert To A Gluten Free Life Was Wondering…

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lumdogs

lumdogs

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:58 AM

Hi all,

I’ve recently started a gluten free diet as a trial more than anything after suffering through nausea and GERD for the past 12 months. I had a blood test for Celiac come back as negative although my IgA levels were lower than the norm. Anyway I thought what the heck - just trial gluten free and see if it makes a difference to my symptoms. I’m pleased to say that after 4 days of being Gluten Free, i’m still Gluten Free. I haven’t noticed a change in symptoms as yet but I am only 4 days in and very realistic that it will take time. I was wondering though about side effects. I don’t really seem to be suffering anything major other than dehydration. I drink my 2 litres of water per day as I have done for years prior to going gluten-free, however it seems that now I am permanently dehydrated. Can anyone tell me whether this is a common side effect and is it likely to disappear with time? Thanks in advance - LD.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

Hi Lumdogs,

Welcome to the forum! :)

I don't recall that particular symptom myself but that doesn't mean it isn't related. There is a very wide range of physical symptoms that people get from eating gluten and stopping it too. Sometimes people have withdrawal symptoms, while others don't even notice a change. Some celiacs have villi damage but have no outward symptoms at all. That is called silent celiac. So going by symptoms is tricky. If you want to get tested though you should do that before being gluten-free for very long. The tests are a simple blood draw for antibodie testing, and then possibly an endoscopy for biopsy. The antibodies in the bloodstream drop off after going gluten-free and that makes the blood tests useless. The other trick to it is that NCGI doesn't show up in blood tests just yet, as it is newly recognized and no tests have been devised.

It is helpful to write down a food and symptom log each day. Not just physical symptoms but also if you felt well or were anxious for no reason, depressed etc.

Non-celiac wheat sensitivity article
http://www.celiac.co...ists/Page1.html
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#3 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

I recall some discussion on dehydration in the past, so you might try searching for it. From my own memory in 2007(in my gluten days) I spent the summer drinking cup after cup of water and still feeling thirsty. The doctor checked for diabetes and kidney trouble, but they were negative.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: