For a fun spin on these cupcakes - I made them with almond butter and pistachios on my blog.
- 10 large eggs
- 3 oz. baking chocolate such as Green & Black
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups cashews, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp. almond extract
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cashew butter, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare cupcake tins with nonstick baking spray.
- Separate eggs into large small bowls; one for egg yolks and one for egg whites.
- In a small saucepan, melt baking chocolate and dark chocolate.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks on medium-high speed until and thick, approximately 7 minutes. Reduce speed to low; add sea salt and 2/3 cup granulated sugar until mixture becomes thick and creamy, approximately 8 minutes. Add melted chocolate and cashews; continue to beat with mixer on low speed.
- Add almond extract to the large bowl of egg whites. Beat until foamy, approximately 3 minutes. Add 1/4 cup sugar; beat on high speed until soft peaks form, approximately 5 minutes.
- Fold egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Divide the batter evenly among cupcake tins. Transfer to the oven; bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of each cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven; set aside to cool on baking racks.
- Slice each cupcake in half. Serve warm with a spread of cashew butter for a healthy spin on sugary icing.