Sometimes called “Wedding Cookies,” these balls of crumbly, nutty, powdery yumminess are a traditional favorite you shouldn’t have to miss just because you’re eating gluten-free. No one will miss the gluten in this delicious treat!Ingredients:
- ½ cup confectioner’s sugar (plus more for dusting finished cookies)
- ½ cup pecans
- ¼ cup sweetened, flaked coconut (optional)
- ½ cup butter or non-dairy alternative, room temperature (e.g. Earth Balance Buttery Sticks)
- 1 tsp. gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. orange zest or peel (optional)
- 1 cup Jules Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
Using a large food processor, pulse the confectioner’s sugar, pecans, and coconut until the pecans are finely chopped and tossed well with the sugar.
Using an electric mixer or the food processor, beat together the butter and pecan mixture until fully integrated. Beat in the vanilla and the orange zest. Slowly add the flour and salt, beating or pulsing until blended and a soft dough is formed.
Cover the dough tightly and refrigerate until cold and firm, not sticky – at least 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 325° F (static).
Scoop cold dough into large teaspoon-sized balls and roll between your palms to form a round ball. Place each formed ball onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet 1-2 inches apart. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown slightly. Remove to cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
Sift approximately ½ cup confectioner’s sugar into a small flat-bottomed bowl, then gently toss each cookie in the bowl to lightly coat with sugar and serve.
Yield: 2 dozen cookies, depending on size.