So in a attempt to adjust and make a monkey bread recipe Gluten Free and low carb, I took another recipe and modified it removing dairy, and some other subs. What I got was not the monkey bread I used to make....BUT DID make a huge pan of GLORIOUS cinnamon Sugar Doughnut holes. Now that I think about it the one from my child hood we would pour a ton of butter and sugar icing all over it before baking so it was huge gooy mess >.> we also used Pillsbury crescent dough formed into mini balls. This still is close enough to provide some satisfaction....and really addictive.
6tbsp Swerve Granular (sugar)
4tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 Cup (60ml/g) Almond Milk
1 tsp (5g) Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Cups (220G) Blanched Almond Flour
1 Cup (112g) Coconut Flour
1/4 Cup (30g) Pea Protein
1/2 Cup (100g) Swerve Sweetener Granular
2tbsp (20g) Psyllium Husk (or 1tbsp Guar/Xantham Gum)
1tbsp Baking Powder (Try Doubling for more rise)
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 Cup (120g) Nutiva Butter Flavored Coconut Oil
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
3 Large Eggs Room Temp
25 Drops oooflavors Cinnamon Roll with Caramel (optional)
1. Preheat Oven to 350F. Line a 2lb Loaf Pan with parchment Paper
2. In a Small Bowl combine the 6tbsp Swerve and 4 tsp Cinnamon for your coating.
3. Combine Milk, and Vinegar and a small measuring cup or bowl, stir and set aside.
4. For Dough, combine almond flour, coconut flour, protein powder, Swerve, Baking Powder, Psyllium Husk, and Salt, Wisk to combine, if you can run through a sifter.
5. Warm and pour your coconut oil into this and fold til it starts to look a bit like corn meal
6. Add in the vanilla and eggs til well combined then warm up you milk 30 sec in the microwave and pour it in stun until uniform and can be formed into balls.
NOTE if dough is too crumbly add 1-2 more tbsp more hot milk
7. Use a cookie scoop or a tbsp to measure our then roll into a ball shape, coat each ball in the cinnamon swerve mix before placing it in the pan.
When filled just sprinkle the rest of the mix over the balls.
8. Bake 20-25mins, allow to sit in pan for about 10 mins before dumping onto a plate/serving dish.
Feel free to make up a icing to put over this, I like making a swerve and cream cheese flavored ones, but caramel and pecan sauce works too.
Simple Frosting x2 for extra Frosting
1tbsp Coconut oil butter flavored
4tbsp confection swerve sugar free sweetener
2tbsp Lakanto maple
1/2 tsp LorAnn Oil non dairy cream cheese extract
Caramel Pecan Sauce
1/2 Cup (120g) Nutivia Butter Flavored Coconut oil
1/2 Cup Brown Swerve
2 tbsp (30g)Lakanto Maple
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 Cup Roasted Chopped Pecans, (350F for 5-8mins)
pinch of salt
Heat and melt the Nutivia Butter, then cream together with everything but the pecans using a beater/wire whisk, then fold in the pecans.
Pour this over when done and serving, might need to heat up a bit if it sets up