Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Greeneyes4

Help With Making A Tapioca Free Flour Blend!

I usually just use a prepackaged gluten free mix when I make things usually Namaste mixes. 

Unfortunately, I just found out after having MRT testing that i have a sensitivity for tapioca -- which is listed in every flour blend I have seen, meaning what I will have to start blending my own...eek! 

If anyone has a good gluten/dairy/soy(allergic)/coconut(allergic) /buckwheat (allergic)/tapioca free blend ideas it would be most helpful! 

Thanks!

Sorghum, potato starch?

Brown rice, white rice?

Your biggest problem will be sourcing safe base flours...and I do NOT have suggestions for safe sources. The rest is rather easy - just use the same ratios as for other gluten-free blends.

Have you tried almond flour?

I don't use an AP flour and my reason for this is because different things require different qualities from flours and no two act the same. That said, I have had no issues at all if I am out of one starch to sub in another willy nilly, although I have never tried this if a starch is the main ingredient in a recipe, nor would I. With all of the recommended "blends" you can make at home to keep as an AP blend, I have never seen one that uses buckwheat or coconut and don't recall any using soy either. (And naturally they are all gluten free or I wouldn't be looking up flour blends!)

This is a nice guideline to use. http://glutenfreegirl.com/2012/07/how-to-make-a-gluten-free-all-purpose-flour-mix/

I use coconut flour and lupin flour (it's a very bright yellow) quite often.  And you can get almond flour, chestnut flour, hazelnut flour  - I make my own hazelnut (and cashew, almond , sunflower etc) meal(s) in the food processor but it is not fine enough to be called flour - would be good for a crunchy grain effect for breads though.

Have a look at this link http://www.foodsubs.com/Nutmeals.html