This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Aldi's

Tina73

LauraTX Rising Star

I just got my password updated so I can post on this topic. (I've been off these blogs for a while--just accepting my gluten free life w/o perseverating about it)

Aldies is such a great option for all of us celiacs/gluten free persons. They have many reasonably priced Good Life products (all r worth sampling)---but the very best thing they have which alone is worth a visit is their BREAD!!! They make the best bread ever--and I had sworn off bread due to always a disappointment-- it's even delish not toasted! I have been eating sandwiches now--like the old days, throwing together w/ ease and on the go.

The only bread I also recently discovered at Price Right and Stop and Shop, which is as good or better--- is Three Bakers bread! It's so delish...do others enjoy?

The bread does taste better after you forget what the other bread tasted like... LOL.  I have tried aldi's and really liked it, have heard good things about three bakers but haven't tried it.  A similar bread to the Aldi one is Canyon Bakehouse Multigrain.  I tried it after hearing people rave about it on here, and it is true it is soft and does not need toasting.  Nice to have great choices abound :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Zloduska Newbie

I don't know if I am just unlucky, or it has to due with oat-contamination or how sensitive  I am, but I am sure that after my huge Aldi's spree when they first debuted their gluten-free product line last May, I can say unequivocally that Aldi's gluten-free products make me sick, very sick.  It seems that I can maybe tolerate having one of their products once in a great while, but when I started having their various pastas/pizzas/etc a few days in a row, I started feeling awful and experiences weeks of moderate symptoms such as inflammatory arthritis. It seems to be the case that when I get 'glutened' from gluten-free products, the symptoms are not as severe, but more tenacious and pernicious in that the depression, anxiety, joint pain and other issues linger for a long time, and the higher volume of these gluten-free processed products that I eat, the worse and more prolonged the reaction is.

It surprises me that no one else has complained of adverse reactions to Aldi's.  I know that at least one of these new products contains oats, so it could be oat-contamination or a cumulative effect of regular cross contamination that is the culprit.  I have the same problem with anything from Trader's Joe's, can't touch any of their stuff, so it does not surprise me one bit if they are manufactured together.  How sad. The aldi's gluten-free boon was so convenient while it lasted. :(

maximoo Enthusiast

the pancakes are ok!

Spoke to mngr how the missing chkn noodle soup. He said he's been asked a lot about it and orders it every day but the warehouse doesnt have any at this time. He claims corporate & the manufacturers are working out a price deal.  might be true might be BS but at least he is aware that his customers want it  Hopefully it will eventually be back.

Not crazy Rookie

I also reacted after eating Aldis stuff. Have no idea which product it was. Kind of went on a gluten free shopping spree.

I had the reaction I get from small amounts over time.

I have a gluten free house and usually only add one new item at a time so if i do have a reaction I know what caused it.

I have had the pizza pockets, wraps, and yellow cake mix since then and was okay. But I also really spaced them out (kids really like the wraps and pizza pockets). I did have a few slices of amaretto cake, and banana bread I made from the cake mix. So I'm pretty sure the cake mix is good. I made plain frosted cupcakes for a Christmas party and no one knew they were gluten free.

• 3 weeks later...
maximoo Enthusiast

The gluten-free Hot Pockets are a hit in my house.  YES!   a quick after school thing to eat! 

• 5 months later...
Denise B Newbie

I also reacted after eating Aldis stuff. Have no idea which product it was. Kind of went on a gluten free shopping spree.

I had the reaction I get from small amounts over time.

I have a gluten free house and usually only add one new item at a time so if i do have a reaction I know what caused it.

I have had the pizza pockets, wraps, and yellow cake mix since then and was okay. But I also really spaced them out (kids really like the wraps and pizza pockets). I did have a few slices of amaretto cake, and banana bread I made from the cake mix. So I'm pretty sure the cake mix is good. I made plain frosted cupcakes for a Christmas party and no one knew they were gluten free.

Finally got brave and tried it. .I had a small frozen meal. .which was a very very  small portion  Did not seem to have an issue with that .Than I tried the boxed Mac n Cheese.today..never again...I have been sick all afternoon. I never go over board when purchasing new products so thankfully I just bought the 2. Don't do many quick meals but I will stick with the few I can have. They cost a bit more but I get more and do not get sick.

• 4 months later...
Coryad Rookie

I just wanted to pop in and add my 2 cents :)  I too have gotten very sick from Aldi's gluten-free foods. I am super sad because most of it was pretty tasty and affordable. I could not for the life of me figure out what was making me so sick, but once I sat down and wrote out what I had eaten, the only new things were the Aldi's foods. I had the gluten-free chicken noodle soup one day, then a few days later the gluten-free mac-n-cheese. Anyway, I was curious if it was just me, but I guess not. 
If you can tolerate these products, more power to ya! They are pretty good and fairly inexpensive, so worth a try. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 years later...
GFinDC Veteran

I found the Aldi wraps in my local store.  The regular ones are pretty good.  But now they have spinach wraps too.  The spinach wraps are larger than the regular kind and also thinner.  They fold real well.  I usually warm them up but it probably isn't necessary.  In my store they are kept out on a shelf and warm, not frozen.  I had to ask a worker where they were because they weren't anywhere in a cooler or freezer like I expected.  But they are certainly worth a trip to Aldi for me.

Archived