This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is There A Good Hamburger Bun Out There?

murphy203

murphy203 Rookie

I guess I can live without a hamburger bun, but I don't want to!  Does anybody have a recommendation?  Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

a few popular ones are  canyon bakehouse, udi's, Taffet's  bakery in Philly, pa, against  the grain another  is  Deland   which now is  supposed  to be  a gluten-free   dedicated  place.

cyclinglady Grand Master

My advice is to avoid gluten-free bread as a newbie. Give yourself time to forget gluten-containing bread. That way you will not be disappointed!

etbtbfs Rookie

gluten-free restaurants around here use the hamburger bun from canyonglutenfree.com (Loveland, CO)

MycasMommy Enthusiast

Against the Grain is good for me.  Its made with just eggs and cheese though. Cyclinglady is right, give yourself some time to forget EXACTLY what bread tastes like and when you are healed somewhat and start tasting the gluten-free stuff... it tastes different but you wont be trying to compare it so much and you will like it much better.  The against the grain tastes NOTHING like bread, but its great for holding things :D and it is tasty in its own way.

Ginsou Explorer

Canyon Bakehouse works best for me, but the local store does not always have it available. In a pinch, I use Udi's buns and grill them with a bit of coconut oil or Earth Balance on a cast iron grill.

LauraTX Rising Star

Canyon bakehouse is good for a multigrain bun, but my favorite is a place called Local Oven.  They have their products in a lot of restaurants all over Texas and surrounding areas.  They are just like soft white bread... absolutely worth the ordering cost.  No weird taste like some of the products that are out there that one person loves and another hates, etc.  They all come individually wrapped within the package so you can thaw just one at a time and don't have to pry them apart after they are freezer burned.  Also, their tortillas are the best gluten-free thing I have ever put in my mouth.  Open Original Shared Link  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

murphy203 Rookie

Thanks, ladies. I love the recommendtions to wait a while before trying the gluten-free bun, makes sense!! When I get desperate enough, I'll give Canyon Bakehouse a shot, and if that doesn't work out, mailordered rolls are in my future.

Gemini Experienced

I never waited to try gluten-free bread because I was a skinny Celiac and was 20 pounds underweight at diagnosis so had to eat bread.  Never once did I compare it to wheat bread and actually, the gluten-free bread tasted amazing to me because I was not getting sick from it.  I have never once missed wheat bread.  It did not keep me from healing well, either, and I had little to no villi left at diagnosis.

The Canyon Bakehouse rolls are very close to that wheat crap people seem to like nowadays, only much better because it won't make you sick.  ;)   Udi's is very good too and I prepare them like someone above suggested.....brushed with olive oil and grilled on a grill pate, until crusty golden brown.  Slap a burger on that and you will wonder why people hate being gluten free!  :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I was a cheeseburger sub freak for as long as I can remember. I just did patty melts (a burger made with bread) since diagnosis until I happened upon Against the Grain French Bread. You get two long loaves and one cut in half is the perfect size for a burger sub. It has the crust and chewiness of a good Italian loaf but usually does seem a bit 'holey' on the inside. Personally it doesn't bother me as it gives more space for goodies. Might be worth looking for if you like subs. I also like it warmed and to just tear off pieces and munch with a good good chunk of Romano cheese. 

CK1901 Explorer

Udi's hamburger buns are relatively inexpensive and widely available. I like them! They're big and fluffy and stay together for the most part.

Schar also makes a roll that's pretty good.

mindbodyspirit7 Newbie

I've heard that Red Robbin sells their gluten free buns, which are wonderful, but that's 2nd hand information so I'm not sure if it's really true. It's worth checking out though!

kareng Grand Master

I've heard that Red Robbin sells their gluten free buns, which are wonderful, but that's 2nd hand information so I'm not sure if it's really true. It's worth checking out though!

Different RRs use different buns. The ones here bought from a local bakery until it went out of business. Not sure what they are using now.

mbrookes Community Regular

I use Udi's, but there is a trick. From frozen, I stick them in the microwave (hit the "add 30 sec" button). When they come out I smash them with one good blow from my hand. Then I spread with butter (yes, the real stuff) and grill in a skillet. Put anything you like on them and smile away! If husband and I are going out for barbeque (I live in the deep South. Barbeque is required eating) I don't butter and grill. I order a barbeque sandwich with no bun and assemble it myself. Good, good!

I have no idea why this is underlining and I don't know how to correct it. Just ignore it. I do.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I've purchased buns from Red Robin before. They are very good!

cjd0321 Newbie

I liked Udi's, but they are the only brand I've tried so far.

murphy203 Rookie

My local groceries (I have tried two) don't carry Canyon, so I went with Udi's. Was pretty disapointed, enough to pull my burger off and eat it with a fork. The world didn't end, and I was able to skip some extra calories, so I think I'll stick with this approach for a while.

icelandgirl Proficient

I like Canyon...but no one on my family does. My husband hasn't found one he likes...so he eats it without a bun now.

• 2 weeks later...
ThunderChickenCoasttoCoast Newbie

I guess I can live without a hamburger bun, but I don't want to!  Does anybody have a recommendation?  Thanks

I highly recommend Udi's products. They are THE best gluten-free, dairy-free, and have the best taste and texture of any bread products out there.

ThunderChickenCoasttoCoast Newbie

I've purchased buns from Red Robin before. They are very good!

I did not know that Red Robin made gluten-free buns. Do you call them and order the buns?

kareng Grand Master

I did not know that Red Robin made gluten-free buns. Do you call them and order the buns?

Many of them use Udis buns.   Some use other, locally made buns.

• 2 weeks later...
heliosue Apprentice

The Red Robin in San Bernardino, CA uses a wonderful Gluten-free hamburger bun made by French Meadow Bakery/Cafe in Minnesota.  They are individually wrapped.  Unfortunately, French Meadow no longer sells their products on line to individuals, but they seem to have quite a broad restuarant clientel.  The hamburger bun that I ate at Red Robin was absolutely as good as any wheat based bun I've eaten at a restaurant.

murphy203 Rookie

I finally found Caynon Foccaccia at Whole Foods and it was DELICIOUS!!  I can't explain how much I enjoyed dipping it into some olive oil and herbs after lo these many weeks gluten-free.

Archived