This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Depression, Anxiety And Low Energy Testimonials

symphonyofdreams547

symphonyofdreams547 Rookie

I'd like to hear your guy's stories on how going gluten free has helped with those 3 things since diagnosis.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jays911 Contributor

Depression was gone within three days, anxiety is 99% less, and energy is much higher. 

nvsmom Community Regular

I luckily did not have depression as a symptom, but I did have low energy.  I would say that my fatigue got worse before it got better.  I experienced a withdrawal when I went gluten-free, when I was very tired, moody, and cranky.  It wasn't a fun time.  After a month my energy increased by a lot but then I had a return of arthralgias, which always is proceeded by fatigue and flu like symptoms.  By 6 months gluten-free it had passed and my energy was better again.

I also have hypothyroidism so that will affect energy levels too.

across Contributor

Anxiety 100% gone unless I get glutened -- then it's back instantly. (I have to note that dairy also gives me anxiety, so I avoid it too).

For me, the sequence when I get glutened is anxiety, then depression, then tiredness. After three days, these acute symptoms pass. Before I gave up gluten, it was just constant anxiety all the time.

etbtbfs Rookie

Your response to removing gluten can depend on the length of time it has been causing problems.

(1) Did you have obscure symptoms early in life?  There are some symtpoms, such as dental problems and canker sores, that can signal gluten destruction.  I got these in my teens but did not understand what they meant; few doctors know about these.

(2) How long was it between (1), and the time you fully realized something was wrong?  It took me 25-30 years to get there.

(3) How long was it between (2), and the time you got a diagnosis and went off gluten?  It took me 12 years to get a diagnosis because I hesitated to go to a naturopath; allopathic medicine was worthless.

I am quite well now, after a lifetime of gluten that resulted in a celiac-enteropathy-nutritionaldeficiencies-hashimotos-hypothyroid-adrenalfatigue-hypoprotein syndrome.  The two most important things I have to do now daily, to get deep restorative sleep, are as follows.  I've never seen either of these tips in those many articles floating around the web about sleep problems.

(1) supplement with ~15 grams of free essential amino acids.  My Total Blood Protein (TBP) sits down around 6.1 g/dl (normal range 6.2-8.3) if I don't.  My current doctor told me that his vigorous patients tend to have TBP that is mid-range (7.3) or above.

(2) take my T3 (and T4) in the middle of the night.  This is the T3CM (T3 Circadian Method) mentioned at stopthethyroidmadness.com.  Taking T3 this way supports the adrenals so they don't wake you up before you've slept long enough to feel well.

symphonyofdreams547 Rookie

Anxiety 100% gone unless I get glutened -- then it's back instantly. (I have to note that dairy also gives me anxiety, so I avoid it too).

For me, the sequence when I get glutened is anxiety, then depression, then tiredness. After three days, these acute symptoms pass. Before I gave up gluten, it was just constant anxiety all the time.

interesting, i've experienced the exact same thing.  years ago previous to knowing i had an gluten issue i went 4 months 100 percent strict paleo.  then i went out and ate Mexican food with tons of corn and also gluten with flour and whatnot.   Not expecting anything negative i got hit with the worse wave of anxiety ever out of nowhere around 30 min after the meal.   then the next day started deep depression for no reason and also extreme fatigue.   

StClair Apprentice

This is the same for me too. Reassuring to hear.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sweetpomme Newbie

That's interesting. I am 6 months gluten free and still trying to understand how my body reacts to gluten. I went to a restaurant a few days ago, felt great for the first 24 hours, then I started to have mood swings, then felt depressed and extreme fatigue for the last 3 days. No GI symptoms. I was not sure if I got glutened but I'm staring to think that maybe I was...

sweetpomme Newbie

oh, and to answer your question, before my diagnosis my main symptom was extreme fatigue, and I felt way better after a few days! I used to take 2 hour naps after work, then wake up and go straight to bed for the night. of course there are still ups and downs since I am only 6 months gluten free, but overall I am so much more energized

Archived