Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Ender

Abort, abort! I help devising a soothing "diet."

Rate this topic

This is what I KNOW I'm intolerant to: 1) Gluten/Wheat (cutting it out reduced my symptoms by *pulls number from ass* 80%), 2) Corn (It caused mild gluten-like symptoms and asthma). 

This is what I THINK I'm intolerant to: 1) Wild Rice, 2) Kidney Beans 3) Evaporated Cane Juice or Chocolate :(

Basically, after I've eaten corn, rice, and evaporated cane juice (or chocolate), I ended up with neuropathic symptoms (numbness/tingling in my limbs) as well as stomach issues/pains, all milder and shorter lived than with gluten. After I ate rice yesterday, my insomnia also reared its b%$@#y head again. :angry: Kidney beans just made me constipated. I might try them again at a later date though.

So here's the opposite of those lists. This is what I THINK is okay for me to eat: 1) Meat, 2) Veggies, and 3) Fruit. I've seen a lot of diets on this site to help sensitive stomachs. I see things like Candida, Fructose Malabsorption, SIBO, SCD, paleo, etc. Do my lists look familiar to any of you experienced with these "diets*"? After reading through old threads and in responses to ones I've made, I know that if I've shown reactions to wheat, corn, and rice, I should probably just skip the rest, give it up, and not test any grains for a while, so I'm going to stay away from them for the foreseeable future and just eat pseudo-grains instead. I think I'm doing okay with quinoa, so I'll pick up some buckwheat and amaranth this weekend and try to eat those instead. I need the fiber.

^_^ TMI ALERT ^_^ My stools have gotten more normal over the last 2 weeks according to the Bristol Stool Chart. No more tiny rabbit poos for me. I go like Thor now. Often. :lol: END TMI :lol:

You totally read that didn't you? 

So anyway, I think I can eat sweet potatoes just fine. I suspect I could eat baking potatoes too, but I see them cut out of a lot lists so I'm unsure. I intend to test tree nuts and peanuts and bananas soon (I'd taken bananas out because I love them and eat them everyday, but I really, really need them for smoothies). I'd also like to switch back to regular milk at some point and I have a high threshold for lactose intolerance, but I realize that it might not be a good idea right now. Currently, I drink Lactaid. It sucks in tea. :( 

More than anything else though, I really need something sweet in my life. Does reacting to cane juice mean no sugar/sweet stuff at all? I see different sugars taken off different lists. Sometimes maple syrup is fine, other times its not. Sometimes molasses is okay, sometimes it not. Ditto to table sugar and honey. I need something sweet, or I'll cheat and I'll cheat with something stupid.

Any advice you can give me would be awesome. I'll be experimenting with my "diet", of course, I'm just trying to learn from the wisdom/experience of others so that my experimenting is less time consuming, less painful, and more successful. :) 

Thanks. 

*I'm using the word "diet" because calling it a meal plan sounds too clinical. :P

Edited by Ender

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Meat, veggies and fruit don't bother you so that's what you should be eating. If you must have something sweet, make it fruit. Sweet potatoes most likely won't bother you so go ahead and try them. They are absolutely loaded with nutrition.

Do NOT cheat. Gather up some will power and stick to a diet you know doesn't bother you. Right now I am living on chicken, rice, broccoli and carrots with a drizzle of olive oil,  and soft boiled eggs. That's IT. I gave up ice cream, yogurt, cheese, butter and gluten-free bread because something has my psoriasis in a raging flare. I eat no sugar at all. I eat no snacks at all. I can do this because I've been through it before and I know that I need to look at eating as a necessary bodily function to be done, gotten over with, and then move on with my day, I don't cave in to temptation. I don't even GET tempted because my attitude about food has changed. It isn't a treat to eat, it's just necessary. After a meal I stop thinking about food until the next one. Instead I think about other things. I change the subject in my mind.

And it isn't that I'm superwoman with an iron will. It's that I really really want this psoriasis to go away. And I know that this super restricted diet is only temporary. Six months maybe. Maybe up to a year. But you can do anything if you know there is an end in sight.

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter