Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sammy uk

Do reactions to other foods damage like Gluten does?

I wondered, I have an identical reaction to dairy and corn as I do to wheat gluten. So I know wheat gluten damages my insides via celiac disease, does corn/dairy do the same or is it just reaction because of my already damaged insides?

Will having occasional reactions to dairy or corn stop my gut from healing?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Sammy, I have wondered about this too.  Here is a link from the University of Chicago about other things that can damage intestinal villi:

Okay....celiac.com is not allowing me to paste my link from my iPad.   I give up.  Just google villi damage and U of Chicago and you will find it.  

Also, Dr. Fansano (a celiac expert) has been credited for discovering zonulin which are the gate keepers of the small intestine.  More research is needed but it can help explain intolerances:

Same issue with pasting a link.  Google zoulin and Fansano.

Regarding your question.  I have other intolerances but only gluten triggers an autoimmune flare-up that lasts for a long time (weeks to months) for me.  An intolerance hit is just for a day or two, so I am guessing that I am not damaging villi.  But chronic inflammation is not good.  So I avoid foods that trigger a response (hives, rash, body aches, tummy issues, etc.) like Chili peppers, garlic family.  My lactose intolerance has resolved from being gluten-free for a few years!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

Thanks, the U of Chicago website is really interesting. I will look into Dr Fansano.

It's good to hear your lactose intolerance resolved. I have heard others say the same, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I would love that to happen!

From my understanding I would say no. Furthermore cross contamination is not usually as big a deal with these things as it is with gluten. While they not damage your villi. They can cause other digestive issues, may trigger autoimmune issues and can still cause rashes and other skin problems as well. As far as can you have some occasionally? I think you and only you can really decide based on how you feel.