Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Irene Joanne

Salicylate sensitivity- or food allergy- does it go away??

Rate this topic

3 months ago I was diagnosed with celiac. It's been an up and down few months- I've had a couple accidental glutenings that made me really sick. On top of this all, I'm starting to have other allergic reactions. 

I've always been sensitive to perfumes and chemical smells- this is definitely getting worse. I'm even starting to have allergic reactions to my somewhat hypoallergenic dog- especially when he comes back from doggy day care. 

Foods are making me ill that definitely don't have gluten. Blueberries make me break out in a rash- increase my heart rate and give me bad diarrhea. Blueberries are causing the worst reaction- but other foods that cause a reaction as well are peppermint, honey, other berries, pickles, corn syrup, corn and coconut oil. Plus most teas- even labeled gluten free. My dietician and I have decided that I am probably intolerant to foods high in Salicylates. 

Im a little freaked out about this. Is it normal to start having other food intolerances after going gluten free? I understand dairy and  oatmeal- even gluten free oats give me diarrhea for five days... Plus more symptoms. 

Alhough i understand healing with celiac takes time- sometimes a long time, I'm not sure how to deal with the allergies and salicylate problem. I did do a bunch of reading on celiac.com about salicylates- but my question is... Can this go away? I'm terrified about how limited my diet could get. I live in Alberta and although my family doctor is referring me to a allergist- the wait is up to 18 months. 

Is anyone familiar with the ELISHA blood work? I can spend almost $400 and see a Naturalpath to get allergy blood work done this way

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Irene and welcome. I went through a period when I couldn't tolerate high sals. I was at my wit's end trying to figure out what to eat. I finally settled on just a few foods I knew were safe and ate them every single day for every single meal. Boring? You bet! But I stayed healthy.

Eventually (like a couple of years?) I started being able to add things back. And blueberries took the longest. They are my favorite and I kept trying with no luck, even after I had gotten other high sals foods back. I'm happy to say I can now eat even blueberries!

I had the problem with smells and chemicals too, but after being gluten-free and finally healing, it's not as bad as it once was. I still hate walking down the soap aisle t the store but I can do it without wheezing up.

Remember, at three months in you are going to be having good days and bad days. It can take six months to two years before you feel consistently good. In the meantime, eat plain and simple whole foods, avoid the sals and try to remember, it is most likely temporary. So you have a hideously boring diet for a year or two - once that's over you will not only be able to eat lots of yummy foods, but you're going to start feeling great!

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

Bartfull is correct.  Most of our celiac.com members have some intolerances of some sort (soy, corn, histamines, salicylates.....the list is endless and unique to each person).   You can search all you like with the forum to see that I am correct.

I can tell you that I am now wearing perfume after 20 years of not wearing any scent at all!  Most of my intolerances have resolved!  Took me a good two years to feel really well.  

Getting well can happen!:)

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

And keep a food & symptoms diary. That is your best key to what foods are bothering you. 

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter

2 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Bartfull is correct.  Most of our celiac.com members have some intolerances of some sort (soy, corn, histamines, salicylates.....the list is endless and unique to each person).   You can search all you like with the forum to see that I am correct.

I can tell you that I am now wearing perfume after 20 years of not wearing any scent at all!  Most of my intolerances have resolved!  Took me a good two years to feel really well.  

Getting well can happen!:)

Good? I'm looking forward to better days! 

Join eNewsletter