icelandgirl

Sick on vacation...so frustrated!

Rate this topic

Yes, this will be a complaining thread.  I apologize in advance.

I'm on vacation and I've been glutened.  I have no idea by what, but I'm so frustrated that I just want to cry.  My husband works super hard for us.  I'm a stay at home mom of 3.  Every paycheck for the past year we've been putting some money aside to take everyone to the beach.  Starting on day 3 I have felt bad.  I've had the massive D, body aches, headache and utter exhaustion.  I've laid on my bed in tears over the cramping in my gut.  Today we had arranged to take a boat out and we couldn't cancel so my husband took the boys.  I had to stay right by the bathroom.

Ugh!!  Thanks for listening.  The rest of the trip I'm eating bananas, blueberries, chicken, potatoes and well cooked veggies.  Nothing else. :(

I'm so sorry! Great big huge hugs! {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ Icelandgirl }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Oh no!  I am so sorry that you are sick!  My last glutening was in  July.  A whole year has gone by and I confess, I have NEVER eaten out again!  I just order coffee.  The benefits of eating out (convenience) just don't outweigh the risks (being sick) for me. 

I hope you feel better soon!  

Hugs!  

Thank you all so much!  I don't eat out ever because I got sick last summer.  I do the same as you, cyclinglady, I order coffee.  I ate out once, at a gluten free bakery...but I was starting to have issues already...so something from the day before.  I've cooked everything myself...now I'm thinking I've gotten cc'd somehow in the kitchen of this condo.  My husband wants us to get an RV and do all traveling that way to keep me safe.  Sigh...one good thing...this glutening has shown me just how far I've come.  I used to feel like this every day...

Well, I confess we do have an RV.  I grew up with one, but my hubby did not.  He never even camped.  

It is gluten free.  It allows us to travel and sight see without worry.  If we can find a safe restaurant, then we'll go for it.  If not, we'll skip it and I'll prepare a meal.  

We just spent the last three nights camped in our RV in the driveway while we got new sewage and fresh water lines.  We wanted to avoid all the dust when they were breaking walls and then when patching.  No glutening for us!  We did lots of prep work to keep the dust at bay.  It makes for a great guest room too.  

We are heading out of the country again this year.  Am worried about staying safe.  But we have done it in the past.  We just have to eat from a grocery store if we can't find a suitable restaurant.  So, often, it's just a cold meal.   My glutening last year occurred days before I left to visit my parents.  I suspect two products but I'll never know for sure.   Am packing a lot of Lara Bars this time for sure!  

We camp at the beach and love it.  We bring bikes, surf, and meet up with other families.  We travel and explore our state and we've gone across country a few times.  We have plans to travel more when our daughter is in college.  

Maybe, it is not a glutening.  Maybe it's a bug.  That's what I thought last summer, as I had lots of intestinal issues, abdominal pain, vomiting, etc.  I just had anemia when I was diagnosed, so I thought that I was mistaken.  Got home and tested a month after I became ill and my antibodies were sky high.  Yep, it was a glutening.  

The good news is that I have been well now for a year.  So, you'll feel better soon!  And no, it did not take a year to get well!  

Thanks cyclinglady...the RV sounds great and safe!  I'm fairly sure that this is gluten...but I'm just hoping that it isn't weeks to get better like last time.  I'm eating super simple...baked a piece of chicken and roasted potato and zucchini for dinner.  I'll keep doing that and drinking water.  It's the worst being on vacation and wishing you could go home!

Good luck on your international trip...so cool that you don't let this stuff stop you from traveling!