Rate this topic

Gluten has to be swallowed in order to set off a reaction in a celiac.  In my case, I am careful to purchase gluten-free shampoo, conditioner, facial sunscreen, soap, lipstick, hand lotion -- anything that might accidentally get into my mouth.  I do not have a wheat allergy.  

In addition to celiac disease (or not), some folks have a wheat allergy.  This would require avoiding wheat either injesting or anywhere on their skin.  

2 hours ago, razzle5150 said:

I have read somewhere that   you also have to change up your shampoo. bar soap, perfume etc. Is this true?

YES, you do... Read on:

For almost FIVE days I have been dragging my sorry self around, running into walls, nursing a migraine, unable to form full and intelligible sentences, nauseated beyond reproach, trying to avoid everyone and everything.  When this starts I try to figure out where the cross-contamination occurred.  Low and behold, I was adventurous enough to want a NEW body wash!  God forbid, wanting to smell different and fruity I essentially poisoned myself intentionally for FIVE days with Oil of Olay's White Strawberry & Mint Cooling Body wash. Although, I actually felt better for one lazy, stinky day when I skipped a shower. Consider that the liquid gluten is also used to scrape the top layer of skin off one's (MINE) legs by shaving, which introduces it directly into the bloodstream. And if you happen to be a WOMAN (I AM) you have certain areas that get washed too.  Let's not forget that water gets into your ears...and your nose and eyes.

However,  science 101 teaches us that the largest organ we have is our SKIN. Would you roll on a bed of BREAD or FLOUR.    I can't even be in someone's kitchen if they're boiling pasta.  

After almost seven years of being diagnosed and totally gluten free, I am amazed at how my body reacts to cross-contamination because the reaction is more severe every time (I currently have refractory).  

Good Luck and keep the faith.  Use the resources here and you'll do great. 

Like CyclingLady said: Gluten has to be injected to cause problems.  I changed lip gloss, but other than that, I use the same shampoo, conditioner, and makeup without any problems at all.  I'm not careful in the shower, but I make it a point to keep my mouth closed when shampooing. 

2 hours ago, gfglittergirl said:

YES, you do... Read on:

For almost FIVE days I have been dragging my sorry self around, running into walls, nursing a migraine, unable to form full and intelligible sentences, nauseated beyond reproach, trying to avoid everyone and everything.  When this starts I try to figure out where the cross-contamination occurred.  Low and behold, I was adventurous enough to want a NEW body wash!  God forbid, wanting to smell different and fruity I essentially poisoned myself intentionally for FIVE days with Oil of Olay's White Strawberry & Mint Cooling Body wash. Although, I actually felt better for one lazy, stinky day when I skipped a shower. Consider that the liquid gluten is also used to scrape the top layer of skin off one's (MINE) legs by shaving, which introduces it directly into the bloodstream. And if you happen to be a WOMAN (I AM) you have certain areas that get washed too.  Let's not forget that water gets into your ears...and your nose and eyes.

However,  science 101 teaches us that the largest organ we have is our SKIN. Would you roll on a bed of BREAD or FLOUR.    I can't even be in someone's kitchen if they're boiling pasta.  

After almost seven years of being diagnosed and totally gluten free, I am amazed at how my body reacts to cross-contamination because the reaction is more severe every time (I currently have refractory).  

Good Luck and keep the faith.  Use the resources here and you'll do great. 

Don't see gluten in the ingredients I found on- line.  

BodyCoolingStrawberryMintBodyWashIngredi

Water/Eau, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance/Parfum, Sodium Benzoate, Glycol Distearate, Citric Acid, Disodium Edta, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Red 33, Yellow 5