Mnoosh

How do I go about...

Rate this topic

How do I go about getting tested for other food allergies besides gluten? I'm 3 weeks into my celiac diagnoses via blood and just had my positive biopsy come back so I guess it's official! I'm feeling better being off gluten, but I want to know if I have other intolerances or allergies. Where do I get tested? Do I need a referral from a GI dr or primary dr? Thanks!

That would depend on your health plan.  You might want to message your PCP and GI MD and see what they recommend.  Some plans will refer to allergy/immunology.  You can also inquire about an elimination diet to see what you tolerate.  Again, depending on your coverage,  they might offer that under a MD's protocol, a referral to a nutritionist or to complimentary health care for functional/integrative medicine.  That's all I know.  Wishing you the best.

Some people with Celiac feel better off of dairy when first diagnosed. UNLESS you have seen a server reaction, there isn't a reason to test for allergies.  There are NOT any reliable tests for intolerances.  So unless you are having specific issues, you may be better off gluten-free for 6 months to a year to see how you feel and if you think you need to drop anything, try dairy first. 

I agree with StephanieL. Don't borrow trouble right now. You need to just focus on the gluten free diet & get that down pat and get some healing done. Sometimes we celiacs tend to have problems with soy so you might try eliminating that IF you are still having troubles down the line a ways after eliminating dairy.