This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutened by ocean spray cran raspberry.

Kurasz

Kurasz Contributor

I was extremely thirsty and offered a glass of ocean spray cran raspberry. I read the label and couldn't find gluten free anywhere. The ingredients seemed safe other than the always suspicious "natural flavors". I thought, who would add gluten to a natural juice? I took a small glass and drank half. I sat for about 10 seconds and thought, something doesn't feel right. So, like an idiot, i drank the rest and headed to town. Within 10 minutes my guts started burning and cramping. I grabbed a couple of Arizona green teas with ginsing and honey (not the best tasting, but my guts love it). The green tea eased the pain and i ate a spaghetti squash for dinner with classico gluten free spaghetti sauce. I woke up bad cramping and multiple bloody bowel movements. Probably 20 trips to the bathroom yesterday and a dozen today. So i finally googled ocean spray cran raspberry and found out that its sweetened with barley malt even though the label says no artificial sweeteners. Really didn't think i would have to look for Gluten free labels on juices.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

Can you please link to where you found it's sweetened with barley malt? The Ocean Spray site says their beverages are free from wheat, barley & rye. Copied & pasted:

Do Ocean Spray® products contain gluten?

The protein gluten found in certain grains (wheat, barley, rye and oats or hybrids of these) is a concern for those with Celiac Disease.

Based on documentation from our ingredient suppliers, our beverages, Open Original Shared Link and sauces, are free from this type of gluten. Open Original Shared Link and Open Original Shared Link and Open Original Shared Link may contain gluten. If you have a particularly acute sensitivity to gluten in foods, we suggest you consult your physician for his or her recommendation.

Open Original Shared Link

kareng Grand Master
9 hours ago, Kurasz said:

I was extremely thirsty and offered a glass of ocean spray cran raspberry. I read the label and couldn't find gluten free anywhere. The ingredients seemed safe other than the always suspicious "natural flavors". I thought, who would add gluten to a natural juice? I took a small glass and drank half. I sat for about 10 seconds and thought, something doesn't feel right. So, like an idiot, i drank the rest and headed to town. Within 10 minutes my guts started burning and cramping. I grabbed a couple of Arizona green teas with ginsing and honey (not the best tasting, but my guts love it). The green tea eased the pain and i ate a spaghetti squash for dinner with classico gluten free spaghetti sauce. I woke up bad cramping and multiple bloody bowel movements. Probably 20 trips to the bathroom yesterday and a dozen today. So i finally googled ocean spray cran raspberry and found out that its sweetened with barley malt even though the label says no artificial sweeteners. Really didn't think i would have to look for Gluten free labels on juices.

Where did you get this info?  I have never had a problem with them.  If you have actual proof that they are using an ingredient that isn't listed, you should report them to the FDA.  But, according to the website and the ingredients, there is no gluten.  And it would be very unlikely there is gluten being used in the plant.

Kurasz Contributor

Their mixed juices are not on the gluten free list. I'm having trouble finding the link that says they use barley malt as a sweetener in their mixed juices. Their cranberry sauce and cranberry juice are labeled as gluten free, but their mixed juices are not. This is probably why they say consult your doctor if you have an acute sensitivity. 

kareng Grand Master
50 minutes ago, Kurasz said:

Their mixed juices are not on the gluten free list. I'm having trouble finding the link that says they use barley malt as a sweetener in their mixed juices. Their cranberry sauce and cranberry juice are labeled as gluten free, but their mixed juices are not. This is probably why they say consult your doctor if you have an acute sensitivity. 

I don't know who made that list you are using, or how old it is or how accurate.  Lots of people on the internet make "lists" and they can be helpful or really mess with people..... If you ask the people who actually make the drinks (the link Squirmy provided), they do not use barley in the drinks.  And, it would be listed as an ingredient.  

It is easy for us to blame gluten for every stomach upset, but perhaps it is something else?  Or another reason an acidic juice would hurt your stomach?  When I drink an acidic juice on an empty stomach, I get some "pains" right away.  

squirmingitch Veteran

If you look at the bottom of the page you linked, you will see this:

Copyright © 2008-2012 Gluten-Free-Diet-Help.com

Notice the last date is 2012. That's 4 year old info. Always check when what you're relying on was written. 4 yr. old info. is not reliable.

Further, it also says:

The list is not all-inclusive. If there is an item not listed here, you can call the manufacturer and make sure.

Just because the mixed juices were not on the list does not mean they are not gluten free.

Kurasz Contributor

The article i read but can't find now stated that they don't label the mixed juices as gluten free because their partners may use barley malt in their processes.

In response to Kareng, do you think this reaction can come from red dye? My bowel movements were neon green in color which is obviously from dyes. I always seem to have this reaction from dyes. I think you may have helped lead me to the source of another problem. Maybe I'm allergic to dyes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

Another thing I want to point out (and don't take it as me yelling at you please! - I'm rushed for time & can't use pretty words to soften) is that you are fairly new to the diet. You are still healing. Things can upset your tummy! Especially things that are acidic like what you drank, then, on top of that you ate spaghetti sauce which is acidic and contains spices -- that on an already upset tummy. You have to be more kind to yourself!

Tip:

ALWAYS carry a few bottles of water in your car as well as some other bottled or canned "safe" sweet drink. That way you NEVER have to rely on the "kindness of strangers". The same applies to safe snacks. Never go anywhere without having safe food & drink handy.

Who knows? You may have actually been glutened but it might have been from the glass they handed you -- it might have had gluten fingers on it, the ice that was used in it (if ice was used) may have been contaminated by gluten hands reaching into the bin. My niece & nephew were not taught by my sister to wash their hands before reaching in the ice bin!!!! My hubs & I ended up teaching them that is NOT sanitary & that was long before celiac disease came up. I wouldn't give a plugged nickel for most people's sanitary habits when it comes to food handling. If it was a big jug of juice, someone may have drank out of the jug. Totally gross but it happens all over the world all the time!

squirmingitch Veteran
1 minute ago, Kurasz said:

The article i read but can't find now stated that they don't label the mixed juices as gluten free because their partners may use barley malt in their processes.

In response to Kareng, do you think this reaction can come from red dye? My bowel movements were neon green in color which is obviously from dyes. I always seem to have this reaction from dyes. I think you may have helped lead me to the source of another problem. Maybe I'm allergic to dyes.

I have a friend who is anaphylactic to iodine. She has to watch everything red, pink or brown!

Kurasz Contributor

It was actually from my mom who can't see well. It seems like something like this happens every time i go to her house. I think i should stop accepting food or drink from my mom and stay away from dyes. Thanks again.

cyclinglady Grand Master
21 hours ago, Kurasz said:

21 hours ago, Kurasz said:

That's weird, we drink cranberry juice safely.  I agree with Squirmingitch, chances are you were glutened by the glass or ice. I know that my in-laws do not use a dishwasher.  At their advanced age, they are kind of sloppy and their vision is horrible (MD, glaucoma, and cataracts!)  I never eat or drink there, but rely on my food and water I keep stashed in my backpack.  

squirmingitch Veteran
1 hour ago, Kurasz said:

It was actually from my mom who can't see well. It seems like something like this happens every time i go to her house. I think i should stop accepting food or drink from my mom and stay away from dyes. Thanks again.

It's really too bad that we can't trust our parents and we know they wouldn't hurt us for the world but look how hard it is for us to get all the rules down pat. It's even harder for them! My mom is gone but were she alive there's not a chance in heck that I would trust anything at her house and not because she wasn't great with hygiene but the rules are so complicated.

Kurasz Contributor

I can't thank you enough for all of the help you have given me over the last few months, Squirmingitch. You're like my saviour, always letting me know what i did wrong. I would really be lost without your help. You have no idea how much i appreciate your advice, And everyone elses here too. I hope someday i can also help others that are new to this. Again, thank you so much.

squirmingitch Veteran
6 hours ago, Kurasz said:

I can't thank you enough for all of the help you have given me over the last few months, Squirmingitch. You're like my saviour, always letting me know what i did wrong. I would really be lost without your help. You have no idea how much i appreciate your advice, And everyone elses here too. I hope someday i can also help others that are new to this. Again, thank you so much.

Awwwwwwwwww sweetie, you're SO welcome!

• 3 weeks later...
Kurasz Contributor

I'm really confused on this one. Its been 4 weeks on fresh veggies and fruit with occasional meat. Strict paleo diet and this glutening still hasn't passed. Its almost gone, but i don't really think this was caused by just a poorly washed glass. Ocean spray doesn't label their mixed juices as gluten free because they can't guarantee what they are getting from other suppliers. I'm sticking to juices that are labeled gluten free in the future. 

cyclinglady Grand Master

I am sorry that you are still sick!  :(  Glutenings can really set you back.  I was glutened last summer and I don't even know what glutened me.  I suspect two products, but I have no proof.  I was able to narrow it down because my hubby did not get sick and didn't touch these two products.  He is my canary!   I will never know, because I am not going to test it out my theory.  

Anyway, four or five weeks after my glutening, I was still so sick.  My symptoms were completely different from when I was diagnosed (no tummy issues, just anemia).  My GI suspected SIBO, but when he ran the celiac antibodies test, my antibodies were sky high.  This confirmed that gluten was the culprit.  

It took me three months to feel well (developed rashes, hives and swelling along the way) and another three to regain lost weight.  So, it can take lots of time to heal.  Everyone is different.  For some,  it's just a few days before their body calms down and for others, the flare-up lasts and lasts.  

The good news is that you are improving!  :)

Kurasz Contributor

Thanks. I'm still pretty new to this. Trying to be gluten free since april, but have only actually been completely healthy for a couple weeks at a time. I'm really getting strict on my diet now. Good thing its harvest season. Im canning a bunch of my own, guaranteed gluten free foods.

Kurasz Contributor

Ok, there's something unsafe with ocean spray for sure. I just poisened myself again with cranberry sauce, which is supposedly gluten free. I'm guessing its from the pesticides and surfactants that are sprayed on the berries. I worked at cranberry marshes for 15 years and i know they are sprayed with many toxic chemicals during the growing season.

squirmingitch Veteran

Kuraz, it's just possible that you have developed a food intolerance to cranberries. Sometimes we get "other food intolerances" & I understand from others that the symptoms can be just like getting glutened. I'm not saying the chemicals aren't what's getting you but it could just be the berries themselves. The only way you could test that would be to get some organically grown cranberries, cook them yourself & try them. Yeh, like you really want to risk it right? 

Many times when people develop other food intolerances, they eventually get the food back but it might take a year or 2 or 3. 

Kurasz Contributor

I would be open to trying organics. I actually tried the cranberry sauce just to see if it bothered me. Its not a severe glutening, just a lot of bloating and constipation. I'm guessing it jas lasted so long because i have been snacking on craisens. I had a hunch it was the craisins causing it to last so long. I basically poisoned myself just to confirm my hunch. I also found a trick to degluten myself quicker. I'm slightly lactose intolerant, so if I'm willing to go through a few hours of pain, dairy will give me diarrhea and force most of the gluten out right away. Its a little insane to do, but i feel that a few hours of pain is better than being sick for a month.

kareng Grand Master
1 hour ago, Kurasz said:

I would be open to trying organics. I actually tried the cranberry sauce just to see if it bothered me. Its not a severe glutening, just a lot of bloating and constipation. I'm guessing it jas lasted so long because i have been snacking on craisens. I had a hunch it was the craisins causing it to last so long. I basically poisoned myself just to confirm my hunch. I also found a trick to degluten myself quicker. I'm slightly lactose intolerant, so if I'm willing to go through a few hours of pain, dairy will give me diarrhea and force most of the gluten out right away. Its a little insane to do, but i feel that a few hours of pain is better than being sick for a month.

An intolerance to cranberry or a pesticide is not a " glutening".  There are other reasons for bloating and constipation.  There are a ton of lovely fruit out there.  Maybe you should just lay off the cranberries? :)

Kurasz Contributor

I am starting to realize the difference. Its not as severe as a glutening. It doesn't cause brain fog, dh rash, or vomiting like wheat does, but gives the same feeling in my intestines and colon. 

kareng Grand Master
2 minutes ago, Kurasz said:

I am starting to realize the difference. Its not as severe as a glutening. It doesn't cause brain fog, dh rash, or vomiting like wheat does, but gives the same feeling in my intestines and colon. 

A stomach virus, aspartame, food poisioning  and capers all give me the same intestinal issues as gluten.  

Kurasz Contributor

I have been wanting to get on probiotics, but also seem to have problems with the ones ive tried. I'm assuming its from whatever the fruits were sprayed with. Im really not sure of all of the causes, bit i only seem to be healthy when i eat only plants from my garden. A true paleo diet seems best for me, but with the demands of society, im forced to buy garbage food from convenience stores at times. Johnsonville brats and Freetos are usually safe for me, but if they have any beer brats on the rollers i wont even consider it in fear of cross contamination

GFinDC Veteran
6 hours ago, Kurasz said:

I have been wanting to get on probiotics, but also seem to have problems with the ones ive tried. I'm assuming its from whatever the fruits were sprayed with. Im really not sure of all of the causes, bit i only seem to be healthy when i eat only plants from my garden. A true paleo diet seems best for me, but with the demands of society, im forced to buy garbage food from convenience stores at times. Johnsonville brats and Freetos are usually safe for me, but if they have any beer brats on the rollers i wont even consider it in fear of cross contamination

I wouldn't even think of eating hotdogs or sausages from a convenience store roller.  People are picking the hot dogs up with tongs and putting them in a gluteny hot dog bun all day.  Obviously there is going to be gluten all around the cooker.

Have you checked into gall bladder problems?  I think gall bladder issues can cause green stool. IMHG (in my humble guesswork).  Gall bladder problems and celiac are not an unusual combination.

Archived