Rate this topic

I'm making this post topic again because although I was reassured by you guys I still seem to get sick every time i buy chicken. I try to get organic but I have heard that a lot of chicken can be 15% chicken broth that contains gluten. Does anyone else on here eat different brands of chicken breast and not get sick?

52 minutes ago, doomedbyceliac said:

I'm making this post topic again because although I was reassured by you guys I still seem to get sick every time i buy chicken. I try to get organic but I have heard that a lot of chicken can be 15% chicken broth that contains gluten. Does anyone else on here eat different brands of chicken breast and not get sick?

You have your solution -- do not buy chicken!!!!   I think you should consider consulting an allergist.  You may have a chicken or poultry allergy or intolerance.  

I have never seen chicken in the grocery store that is either whole or cut in pieces that contains gluten and is packaged by the chicken factory (or whatever you call it).  I personally do not buy chicken in the meat case because they often have next to "stuffed or marinated" chicken and cross contamination could be an issue.  Chicken does not make me sick.  It does not trigger a celiac flare-up for me.  

Does organic chicken make you sick? If not, consider raising your own chickens.  My neighbors do.  Then you can be assured that your chicken does not contain additives.  

here are more suggestions and comments from when you last asked about chicken:

I think gluten in chicken broth is some sort of Internet myth.  Some chicken is injected with water and salt.  I try to only buy the chicken that isn't because we don't need that salt.  Usually I get the kind our grocery has behind the counter that isn't injected with anything.

Here is a link to an explanation from the USDA as to what is allowed in chicken.  If injected with a solution they must state the ingredients on the label.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/meat-preparation/water-in-meat-and-poultry/ct_index

13 hours ago, doomedbyceliac said:

You likely are not being glutenned because of chicken. However you could have an allergy or such to chicken. You should know that people with gluten issues likely have other allergies and intolerance issues. I gluten-free, but also lactose intolerant, allergies to nuts, and I've never been able to eat pork because it also makes me sick. I'd assume that a pork allergy being possible means the same for chicken.

You can buy no broth added chicken brest meat.  Perdue and Tysons do not inject it.  I discovered this while trying to reduce sodium consumption.  As for allergy my friend is allergic to chicken and turkey.  She will not buy lunchmeat at the deli unless she sees them clean the slicer!

i feel sick after eating chicken but im pretty sure that's because i tried to eating it after 7 years of being vegetarian not because of celiac disease. i mean if you know its making you feel sick then don't eat it