Cathyp

Testing and low carb diet

Rate this topic

Hi!  My doctor recently told me that it is possible that I have Celiac disease.  I've had blisters on my elbows and knees that itch so badly that I scratch them raw.  I also have had frequent diarrhea.  I have been taking medication for my thyroid for several years.  He has ordered a complete celiac blood panel test.  I have been on a low/no carb diet for about 2 months now.  I've had no bread during this time, except for a couple of cheats here and there. My question is,  should I intentionally increase my gluten intake before I have the blood test since I have no idea if, and how much gluten I have been eating?  My doctor didn't mention anything to me about eating gluten for awhile before the test.  I hope this made sense.  Thank you for any replies.

Cathy

Hi Cathy,

Yes, you should eat some gluten every day for 12 weeks before the blood tests.  That is generally enough time for the antibodies to build up in the bloodstream and be detectable by the tests.  We always advise people not to go on the gluten-free diet before all testing is completed, including the endoscopy which is often done after the antibody tests.  Doctors often don't give the right advice on celiac testing.  It is easier to stay on gluten than go off it and back on for testing.

Welcome to the forum!  Please check out the newbie 101 thread in the coping with section for lots of info.

Here is more information about a challenge.  But keep in mind that DH (celiac rash) often will be negative on blood tests.  Read more on how to biosy the rash in our DH section.  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge/

Update:  My Dr. Wanted me to go ahead and get the blood tests.  Because, I had been on a carb free diet for 2 months I was really surprised by results.  would they have been even higher if I had been eating breads and crackers?  So much I need to learn now.  Thank goodness this site is so informative.

Thank you!

Test Low Normal High Reference Range Units
Deamidated Gliadin Abs, Iga     135 0-19 units
T-Transglutaminase (Ttg) Iga     114 0-3 U/mL
Endomysial Antibody Iga     Positive Negative  
Immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum   260   87-352 mg/dL

Um yeah, you pretty much slam dunked it! Yes, probably they would have been higher if you'd been eating a full gluten diet but even though you were carb free for 2 months, you were probably getting all kinds of cross contamination. Make sure to read the Newbie 101 pinned at the top in our Coping section.

Did the doc say anything about getting an endoscopy?

Thank you for your reply.  My Dr didn't say anything about an endoscopy.  Just said don't eat gluten.  Of course he's the same Dr that didn't know about a gluten challenge.  Should I ask for one?  Thanks for the tip about the Newbie 101!

Cathy

Well, that's the normal course of events for a dx. If your doc is willing to dx you based on the blood alone then great but make sure he puts it in your records so your butt is covered in future when someone questions you.