Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
Deades

Son not understanding my diagnosis

Rate this topic

I am 7 weeks diagnosed with silent celiac.  I am doing great and feel like  I have a good handle on everything.  What I am struggling with is my 21 year old son not understanding my diagnosis and the importance of avoiding cross contamination and why all of a sudden I can't have a Cookie, piece of cake, etc..   Since I don't have physical symptoms, he doesn't think it will hurt to have a piece of cake or something else.  He doesn't yet know that I have contacted our doctor to have both my kids blood tested.  Is there any advice on how to convince him the severity of following a strict gluten free diet.

When I get glutened, I cough. Loud.  for 20-30 minutes.  Once people hear that, they take it seriously.  Refer your son to the newbie thread. If he still doesn't get it, kick him in the posterior. Hard!  

Have him read about the disease and the multitude of repercussions that occur from gluten consumption that have nothing to do with "classic stomach" issues. Not following a strict gluten free diet can lead to terrible diseases because your body will be so weak and damaged. When my son was diagnosed, reading about the disease made a big impact on our family members. Good luck and stay strong!

Tell him asap to expect to get blood drawn next week or whenever the appt. is. My boys never like surprise medical exams!

When I was diagnosed, I told both kids they will have to be tested. They don't know it will be happening sooner rather than later.

14 hours ago, Deades said:

When I was diagnosed, I told both kids they will have to be tested. They don't know it will be happening sooner rather than later.

If your son is 21 years old, then I am not sure you can force him to be tested. He's of age. 

It is huge problem.  I have an extended family member whose early 20 something daughter is a diagnosed Celiac and she will not follow the diet.  Her mother is so worried because she is always unwell and in pain but will not follow a strict diet.  Too inconvenient at this stage of the game.  Because of her age, her mother cannot force her to do anything.  This is the hardest part of Celiac Disease.  I wish you a lot of luck convincing him!