This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bk Fries

rache

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Its also important to realize that a number of Celiacs also have "nightshade intolerance", which prohibits another genre of food, including potatoes.

I had a friend in San Diego with Celiac and Nightshade Intolerance. Poor girl had even less options than we do...

She couldn't do french fries ( although I do think she made sweet potato fries)...

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darkangel Rookie
Rache-

Just remember that their subs and burgers are going straight to their thighs! :D

I've heard french fries and donuts are the two worst things you can put in your mouth. Even if celiac wasn't an issue, I wouldn't eat either on a regular basis.

I almost always pack my lunch and bring it to work with me. I'd rather relax and eat in peace than rush out to a restaurant and worry about getting my food choked down so I can get back to work on time. And I save a huge amount of money by not eating out every day.

rache Apprentice

i need to gain weight! i LOST weight while i was pregnant almost a year ago. im about 90 lbs. right now i dont care about the fat :) i do want to be healthy though. anything to feel better....

Rusla Enthusiast

I just got in from being in Edmonton at my brothers the last three days. W e had Chinese food from one of his favorite restaurants. When we called to order they said they could do the food with the special wheat and gluten-free Tamari. They could make pretty well every item except for the dumplings and thick noodles gluten-free. The owner said they had so many customers that were Celiac that he adjusted the recipes he could to be suited for Celiacs. They marked the ones that I couldn't eat so that there would be no problems. Pearl River is also listed on the Edmonton Celiac Association website. So, I had no problems with the food and it was great.

laurelfla Enthusiast

i don't know if this helps, but Chik-fil-a waffle fries are, from what i understand, generally gluten-free... i think i saw that on the menu but i'm not on my computer so i don't have the link handy. they have a gluten-free menu on their website. so i got brave and went in and asked and the cashier said that they only fry fries in that one fryer and the oil is kept separate, so i ate them and boy, were they good! i do publix frozen fries at home sometimes but dude, they just don't compare. ;)

• 1 month later...
jthomas88 Newbie

According to McDonald's website, their fries DO contain gluten

Open Original Shared Link

lucy2426 Newbie

I hear you! Just starting this diet & having a difficult time with it! Wheat is in everything!!! It's hard when you work or are on the go which I am. We used to make Fridays Pizza & Movie night, now I'm lost without Pizza. I could use idea on meals too. At work the ONLY places by me are Quiznos, Subway, Chinese, & sandwich shops. Urg! I don't know what to eat. I lost three pounds in a week just because I don't know what to eat! Can we eat Popcorn? Still unsure of things. Need lunch ideas & pizza ideas PLEASE HELP! APPRECIATE you ideas.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 months later...
Ashley Enthusiast

The CSA statement on McD's site is a bit confusing. But, if you click on bag on a McMeal, click on their fries, calculated, then click on more details, it provides this ingredients list:

Large French Fries

Potatoes, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, natural flavor (beef, wheat and dairy sources), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (to preserve natural color). Cooked in partially hydrogenated vegetable oils (may contain partially hydrogenated soybean oil and/or partially hydrogenated corn oil and/or partially hydrogenated canola oil and/or cottonseed oil and/or sunflower oil and/or corn oil). Contains derivatives of wheat and dairy.

Salt

As for BK, I don't trust them. My folks have gotten Onion rings in their fries all the time.

Susan123 Rookie

My take on the whole BK from previous experience eating there pre gluten free.... They are dedicated and the fries are put in one container under the lamps and the onion rings in the other. You scoop up with the scoops and some get in the other spots. I have found a lot of times onion rings in the fries. Pre-gluten-free it was an unexpected surprise to have a taste of something else.

queenofhearts Explorer
I hear you! Just starting this diet & having a difficult time with it! Wheat is in everything!!! It's hard when you work or are on the go which I am. We used to make Fridays Pizza & Movie night, now I'm lost without Pizza. I could use idea on meals too. At work the ONLY places by me are Quiznos, Subway, Chinese, & sandwich shops. Urg! I don't know what to eat. I lost three pounds in a week just because I don't know what to eat! Can we eat Popcorn? Still unsure of things. Need lunch ideas & pizza ideas PLEASE HELP! APPRECIATE you ideas.

I'm a newbie too, but learning fast!

Popcorn's pretty safe unless flavored with something iffy... I always get the plain kind. It can be a little hard to digest for some folks though.

If you like Mexican food, you can do all sorts of stuff really fast with corn tortillas. You can put one on a plate, sprinkle with shredded cheese, microwave 2 minutes, bend into a taco shape & let cool slightly until crisp, then fill with avocado, shredded lettuce, salsa, &c. Really fast & my kids like it. Also we're big fans of Fantastic Foods Instant Refried Beans for this sort of thing. Mix according to directions (I always add some cumin & chili powder), then add about the same amount of salsa, & melt on some cheese if you like. Great as a bean dip with Tostitos, or as a filling for enchiladas, &c.

I've heard of folks using corn tortillas as a base for "pizza" too-- same sort of idea as the micro taco but with mozzarella, italian style tomato sauce (read the label to make sure it's safe) & toppings to taste. There are also Gluten-free crusts you can buy to top as you like.

The Chinese places can be okay if you avoid dark sauces (they almost always contain soy) & bring your own Gluten-free soy to flavor it up. I highly recommend getting the Triumph cards for eating out anywhere.

Good luck! It's hard getting started but you will start finding things that work for you.

Hang in there!

Leah

Lister Rising Star

I work at a bk, yes the frys are gluten free, but its really a eat at your own risk thing. The fry fryer is seperte yes, but products do accedently drop in, so i meen there is bread crumbs in the fryer almost always unless you happen to come in right after a cleaning, and then also the baskets for the frys are the same baskets they use for all the other products, so the baskit itself could be contaminated,

personly i ate some frys about a month ago from work, i cleaned the baskit and it was even new oil and i still got sick, but my stomic was also in bad condition so i should not have tried to eat frys. So eat them at your own risk

Archived