Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
vvicin02

Can iGa Show Improvements but Villi Still Blunted?

Rate this topic

Is it possibly to have improved iGa numbers after being on GFD for 6 weeks but still have blunted villi? I am asking because I had an endoscopy for my esophagus two weeks ago and the Doc said he could see issues with my small intestines and active celiac disease. I was disappointed since I was on a GFD for a month. Next week I am going in for blood work to see if my numbers improved. I was just wondering if my villi are still blunted will the antibodies still be active without Gluten present? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It can take many months for your IGA numbers to go down. And it can take many months for your villi damage to heal. On top of that the gluten-free diet is not as easy as it initially seems. There can be hidden gluten hidden in many things.

You villi are blunted from the disease, it can take up to 6 weeks for your body to stop attacking them and up to 6-12 months for test to read normal, it varies from person to person. BUT it can take UP to 24 months on a gluten free diet for your villi to COMPLETELY heal according to some studies. And the diet is life long or it can start all over again. 

"You should see your physician 3-6 months after your initial diagnosis and annually thereafter to identify nutritional deficiencies, address symptoms you may still be experiencing, and confirm your adherence to the gluten-free diet. Patients on a strict gluten-free diet should have a negative anti-tTg IgA test at the 6-12 month mark"

Diagnosed Issues
Celiac (Gluten Ataxia, and Villi Damage dia. 2014, Villi mostly healed on gluten-free diet 2017 confirmed by scope)
Ulcerative Colitis (Dia, 2017), ADHD, Bipolar, Asperger Syndrome (form of autism)
Allergies Corn, Whey
Sensitivities/Intolerances
Peanuts (resolved 2019), Cellulose Gel, Lactose, Soy, Yeast
Olives (Seems to have resolved or gone mostly away as of Jan, 2017), Sesame (Gone away as of June 2017, still slight Nausea)
Enzyme issues with digesting some foods I have to take Pancreatic Enzymes Since mine does not work right, additional food prep steps also
Low Tolerance for sugars and carbs (Glucose spikes and UC Flares)
Occupation Gluten Free Bakery, Paleo Based Chef/Food Catering

Sure.  The antibodies testing for celiac disease was developed to help in diagnosing celiac disease.  It was not intended as a follow-up test to determine dietary compliance or a measurement of healing.  However, it is the “only tool in the toolbox”, so it is being used.  

In theory, the small intestine can heal fast.  Unfortunately, most people do not master the gluten free diet for months or longer.  Each gluten exposure can set off an antibodies reaction.  How long it lasts or how much damage it can cause is unknown.  Let’s facing it, studies require money.  Celiac disease is certainly underfunded by the government and it is not a very glamorous topic (the GI tract).  Luckily, the cure is a gluten-free diet.  Other autoimmune suffers are not so fortunate.  

That said, I will share my personal experience.  My DGP antibodies were still greatly elevated when I had a repeat endoscopy that revealed healthy villi (and my GI went in pretty deep).   I kept beating myself up on my diet even though I have been gluten free for five years and my hubby has been for 17 years.  If anyone knows this diet, it would be me!  

Since you still have intestinal damage, look to your diet.  Consider avoiding processed foods and do not eat out.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Thank you all. I do not eat out and I prepare my own food (with the help from my wife...lol). I still feel I am doing something wrong but don't have any GI issues and I feel good. I guess my confidence is not so high because I don't feel cheated on what I eat. I do not eat processed foods and make most foods from scratch. I guess my concern is CC, spices or sauces. I guess we shall see next week after my blood work. I guess my dilemma is to figure out what I am dong wrong if my antibodies are still elevated. I would hope they would decrease even a little- just to give me some hope. Thank you again.

Please do not get discouraged if your antibodies are still elevated.  Mine were elevated for over a year (beyond the lab ranges).  That is very common.  A month in is just too soon to heal.  Your doctor should be checking at three or six months out and not four or six weeks:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/how-often-should-follow-up-testing-occur/

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator