This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How long does it take for celiac blood test results to come back?

Echonoderm

Echonoderm Newbie

I had a celiac blood "screen" ordered through a GI consultant at a hospital last Friday (23rd November) and was wondering how long you recon it would take for the results to come back. As this was done through a consultant the results won't go straight back to my GP and I can't ring up. The hospital seems to mainly communicate through letters so I was wondering if they'd send a letter with the results it may take a bit longer to come back (I only just got a letter summarising the consultation I had before my test today). I'm just very anxious waiting for the results. (This was done on the NHS in the UK) 

Please does anyone remember how long it took for their blood results to come back? I'm really desperate.

Edited by Echonoderm

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Sorry, I don't have any idea.  Some hospitals in the USA let you look at results online.  I don't know if the NHS allows that though.  I hope they told you that if the blood tests are positive that an endoscopy is the next step in diagnosis.  You need to keep eating gluten until all testing is complete.

(I have no stock in bread companies)

:)

Welcome to the forum! :)

• 1 year later...
Trevoc Newbie
On 12/1/2018 at 6:23 PM, GFinDC said:

Sorry, I don't have any idea.  Some hospitals in the USA let you look at results online.  I don't know if the NHS allows that though.  I hope they told you that if the blood tests are positive that an endoscopy is the next step in diagnosis.  You need to keep eating gluten until all testing is complete.

(I have no stock in bread companies)

:)

Welcome to the forum! :)

Why do you even bother to type a reply if you "don't have any idea"??? Are you bored?

The person is asking people who KNOW the answer, not lame people who are sitting at their computer and are thinking the question was posed especially to them. 

I am also looking for an answer for that question, and people like you waste people's time with lame responses of "I don't have any idea"!

Scott Adams Grand Master

Hello @Trevoc, welcome to the forum. I doubt you noticed, but @GFinDC has nearly 6,000 posts here and is a moderator. Feel free to edit your first post here if you like, as it doesn't come off very well. 

I suspect this would vary greatly depending on the hospital. Whenever I get tests done at Kaiser, for example, I typically get results online within a couple of business days. 

cyclinglady Grand Master

Some doctors need to review and sign off the lab results.  If the doctors are slammed, it could take a week or more.  The EMA test is a manual type test and it can take longer.  But since our healthcare workers are planning and caring for COVID-19 patients at this moment, it could take even longer.  

You might want to call and ask your healthcare provider.  They should know.  

Learn to be patient.  It takes up to a year to heal from celiac disease (if you actually have it) and guess what?  You will not die waiting for a celiac test result or from celiac disease itself.  

Normally, if you get a positive on the celiac panel, you would then get biopsies obtained via endoscopy.  In light of the current healthcare crisis, you might want to consider trialing the gluten-free diet.  It will not hurt.  Complete testing at a later date.