This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Elevated Liver Enzymes

Jenn2005

Jenn2005 Contributor

Just wondering if its a common thing with Celiac patients to at some time have elevated liver enzymes come back on the blood work. Shane (my husband) had a dr's appt. on Friday and he ran blood work (routine) to check vitamin levels (he's been getting B-12 injections since November 05), ect.... the full work up, he does this every 3 months to keep an eye on everything. His liver enzymes have always come back fine and he's had 2 U/S in the past 6 months that said the liver was normal (the u/s was not for the liver but for the gallbladder and pancreas but the liver was checked). This time they called and said his liver enzymes were up and they wanted to see him back in 6 weeks to recheck them and they'd let us know what other test he'd order after that. Just curious if anyone else has had any experience with this. I always worry myself to death about this stuff until we get results back so I try to find answers on here to calm my nerves. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jennifer

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

teebs in WV Apprentice

Hi Jennifer. My liver enzymes have been high for about 4 years. I chose to bury my head in the sand and ignore it, even though my doctor kept bugging me about getting more tests. Finally, after I broke out with dermatitis herpetiformis, and couldn't stand it anymore, I decided to have more tests performed. My doc did an ultrasound and found nothing, followed by a CAT scan. The CAT scan showed enlarged abdominal lymph nodes, an enlarged spleen, but my liver looked A-OK! That was when my doctor sort of panicked and sent me elsewhere.

To make a long story short - my liver enzymes have went down since I started the gluten-free diet. I started the end of October, 2005 and last week my bloodwork shows significant improvement in all areas that were out of whack before. Not 100% normal yet, but definitely going in the right direction. (I must also say though that my alcohol intake has decreased dramatically since going gluten-free - no BEER! hmmm........I wonder if that had anything to do with my high liver enzymes?!?!?!)

The GI that did my endoscopy/biopsy indicated that all of these problems could be caused by celiac disease, but of course it could also be something else. I am supposed to go back for 6 month follow-up CAT scan in May.

I think it is very sweet and thoughtful that you are on this message board seeking advice and support for your hubby! :)

Take care,

Jenn2005 Contributor

Tracy, Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping when he goes back in 6 weeks that it will all have resolved itself. Good luck with the diet and I hope your results continue to improve.

Jennifer

jenvan Collaborator

Jen it is VERY common for Celiacs to have elevated liver enzymes. I had them for years, yet another clue that was missed. Most of the time, the enzymes return to normal levels with the gluten-free diet. Just make sure a follow-up test is done. Go here to read some more info, study: Open Original Shared Link

Jenn2005 Contributor

Jenvan - Thanks so much for posting that link. I'm printing it out to take to the Dr. when we go. He doesn't know a lot about Celiac but he listen's and is very open to any research I can give him or tell him about.

It helps my nerves to know that its common (even though I want to have all the test done to be sure - better safe than sorry). It seems like just when you think your on the mend something else comes up.

Thanks again.

Jennifer

jenvan Collaborator

Jennifer, well glad the doc is following up, and that they initiated it on their own. Some celiacs develop liver disease or autoimmune hepatitis, which you could mention, but as I said, majority of levels return to normal.

lonewolf Collaborator

This has been an informative thread. I have had elevated liver enzymes in the past and no one could figure out what it was. The doctor finally said it was related to a kidney problem I have. When I figured out that gluten made my kidney disease relapse, the liver enzymes went back to normal too. But what's interesting is that although I have had almost all the symptoms of Celiac (basically everything but chronic D and weight loss) I don't have either of the main genes for it. I've been off wheat for 10 years and gluten lite for that whole time, so no other tests would be accurate. Interesting to know that there is a connection with liver enzymes-just one more confirmation to me that I finally found the right "problem" and "cure", by myself, of course.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

For more info read this...haven't read it all yet, talks about causes of elevated liver enzymes in asymptomatic patients: Open Original Shared Link

lonewolf Collaborator

Thanks Jen,

You are amazing with all the links and information you have!

jenvan Collaborator

Aw, thanks Liz! I definitely have to give the internet some credit for that ;) I read that article, it is pretty good, maybe technical for some, but good info on things that cause elevated enzymes, including celiac....

PghBOB Newbie
Just wondering if its a common thing with Celiac patients to at some time have elevated liver enzymes come back on the blood work. Shane (my husband) had a dr's appt. on Friday and he ran blood work (routine) to check vitamin levels (he's been getting B-12 injections since November 05), ect.... the full work up, he does this every 3 months to keep an eye on everything. His liver enzymes have always come back fine and he's had 2 U/S in the past 6 months that said the liver was normal (the u/s was not for the liver but for the gallbladder and pancreas but the liver was checked). This time they called and said his liver enzymes were up and they wanted to see him back in 6 weeks to recheck them and they'd let us know what other test he'd order after that. Just curious if anyone else has had any experience with this. I always worry myself to death about this stuff until we get results back so I try to find answers on here to calm my nerves. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jennifer

my liver enzymes have been elevated . i had an ultasound and cat scan,all ok. i've been gluten free for 7 months but still elevated.

jenvan Collaborator

PghBOB-- sorry to hear they're still up. i had mine run last week and will see what the results are. are they extremely elevated or just slightly?

Jenn2005 Contributor

Jenvan - Thanks for those last links. Great info. I printed those out for the dr. to go along with the first info you posted. How long were your enzymes up? Let us know how your report looks when you hear. I'll say a prayer that your levels are returned to normal. I appreciate all your informative posts.

Jennifer

debmidge Rising Star

Thanks for info, I found this to be of value. It's amazing what gluten does.

PghBOB Newbie
PghBOB-- sorry to hear they're still up. i had mine run last week and will see what the results are. are they extremely elevated or just slightly?

I THINK THEY WHERE ONLY SLIGHTLY ELEVATED, MY DOC NEVER GIVES ME ANYTHING ON PAPER SO IT'S HARD FOR ME TO RESEARCH. GOING FOR MORE BLOODWORK IN A FEW WEEKS I'AM GOING TO INSIST ON COPYS FOR MYSELF

Jenn2005 Contributor

I always request (insist if neccesary) a copy of any and all test and/or bloodwork. I don't trust the results to the doctor. I read them myself and look up anything I'm not sure about. When my husband was first dx with Celiac it was months after the biopsy came back as positive because the doctor who did the endoscopy told us it was negative and I didn't get a copy of the reports until we switched gastro dr's and the new dr is the one who found it in the pathology report and followed thru. I now get copies of everything.

Jennifer

jenvan Collaborator

Jennifer-I also think that's a great idea. I have a file with copies of all my labs etc. That way I can also take them with me to new docs etc. It's all about being proactive :)

Archived