Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
OliviaClaire99

Just had an upper endoscopy

Rate this topic

I haven't been able to eat solids for a month lost about 40 pounds so the doctor put it in as an emergency endoscopy anyway he didn't find anything but he did widen something and I can swallow better now but now my throat hurts and I'm having mild chest pains when i swallow. I swear I cant get a break, not sure if this is normal or not I just want to eat for god sake. I'm also scared I caught that freaking virus by going into the hospital but I was desperate to eat again. Oh well guess we will see in the next two weeks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

6 hours ago, OliviaClaire99 said:

I haven't been able to eat solids for a month lost about 40 pounds so the doctor put it in as an emergency endoscopy anyway he didn't find anything but he did widen something and I can swallow better now but now my throat hurts and I'm having mild chest pains when i swallow. I swear I cant get a break, not sure if this is normal or not I just want to eat for god sake. I'm also scared I caught that freaking virus by going into the hospital but I was desperate to eat again. Oh well guess we will see in the next two weeks.

I am sorry this is happening to you.  

It sounds like you had this procedure done for reasons other than  investigating a celiac disease diagnosis or do you already have have celiac disease in addition to the swallowing issues?  

I am sure your GI gave you information about this procedure and it’s potential side effects.  Consider calling your GI and addressing your concerns.  

https://www.asge.org/home/for-patients/patient-information/understanding-eso-dilation-updated

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

9 hours ago, OliviaClaire99 said:

Call your doctor and ask for the doctor to call you back or to speak to a nurse. They will know what procedure was done and if this is something you should worry about. Hope you get some answers and are feeling better soon.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)