Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
3 3
Haveaniceday

Dr diagnosed me based on this (blood results inside)

Rate this topic

Hello.

I recently got very sick with lots of symptoms noted with celiacs. My Dr said I will need an endescopy to assess damage, but that the blood test I received were highly specific, and she went ahead and diagnosed. I'm just wondering if there is any way this is wrong?

My esr and immature granulocytes were both high too. But iron and b12 were fine.

Thanks!

20201015_025506.jpg

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The second of your tests, (TTG IgA) is not 100% specific: there are other causes of a positive test, including diabetes, heart failure, Crohn’s and others. (Also, people who have celiac disease can get a negative result with this test.) This test is machine-read. (Background: The enzyme TTG deamidates gliadin (a broken-down component of gluten). In reaction to the presence of TTG, the antibody immunoglobulin A (IgA) is produced. Raised IgA antibodies indicate short-term immune response, indicating ingestion of gluten 2-4 weeks preceding the test.)

The first test you present measures antibodies directed against deamidated Gliadin peptides (DGP) in human serum or plasma.

Immunoglobulin A lines mucus membranes and protects body surfaces. Found in highest quantities: eyes, mouth, nose, GI tract. Raised IgA antibodies indicate short-term immune response, indicating ingestion of gluten 2-4 weeks preceding the test.

So far, everything is strongly suggestive of celiac disease and as always I tell people to listen to their docs over us on the Internet. More tests than these are usually ordered to diagnose celiac disease - what you had is not the typical so-called Celiac Panel. But again, it's all strongly suggestive. You could always ask for another round of tests, more complete this time. That's what I did. My next round of tests still showed the same thing, so then I got the biopsies and was diagnosed based on those plus the previous blood tests. You will need to continue eating gluten-containing foods if you opt for more tests and you will need to continue eating gluten-containing foods for biopsies, as well.

Plumbago

Diagnosed with Celiac in 2010. Diagnosed with sleep apnea 2018.

I would not second guess your doctor as you have two strong positive tests that are very specific to celiac disease. I will assume that they have recommended that you go on a 100% gluten-free diet. This article may be helpful:

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com