Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
4 4
EmilyBermuda

Atkins Gluten Free bars

Rate this topic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

They should be under 20 ppm of gluten if clearly labeled gluten free on the package.   Some celiacs are more sensitive, so you need to use your own judgement.  

Edited by cyclinglady

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

Just to clarify, if something in the USA is labelled "gluten-free," as the Atkins bars are labelled, it does not mean that they contain 10-19 ppm, as they may have zero detectable gluten. It is true that gluten-free certification organizations have even higher standards, but it is a total fallacy to assume that something which is labelled gluten-free automatically contains more gluten than something that is certified gluten-free. The bars are safe for those with celiac disease.  

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

10 hours ago, Scott Adams said:

Just to clarify, if something in the USA is labelled "gluten-free," as the Atkins bars are labelled, it does not mean that they contain 10-19 ppm, as they may have zero detectable gluten. It is true that gluten-free certification organizations have even higher standards, but it is a total fallacy to assume that something which is labelled gluten-free automatically contains more gluten than something that is certified gluten-free. The bars are safe for those with celiac disease.  

True, but some celiacs are definitely more sensitive than others based on forum members who have DH and have reported rashes from gluten free labeled products.  

Personally, there are better bars out in the market for celiacs.  The Atkin bars are made in a facility with wheat (which may or may not be an issue) and they contain soy, nuts, corn and milk.  Many food types that celiacs often have intolerances too.  I would look for a simpler bar with fewer ingredients like  Lara Bars.  The OP might have issues with these other foods.  

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

6 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

True, but some celiacs are definitely more sensitive than others based on forum members who have DH and have reported rashes from gluten free labeled products.  

Personally, there are better bars out in the market for celiacs.  The Atkin bars are made in a facility with wheat (which may or may not be an issue) and they contain soy, nuts, corn and milk.  Many food types that celiacs often have intolerances too.  I would look for a simpler bar with fewer ingredients like  Lara Bars.  The OP might have issues with these other foods.  

6 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Just tying to find a meal replacement bar? We don’t have Lara bars here in Bermuda! 

52 minutes ago, EmilyBermuda said:

Just tying to find a meal replacement bar? We don’t have Lara bars here in Bermuda! 

This one should be fine.  It is labeled gluten free.  You said you did not feel well after eating them. It could be due to additional intolerances to dairy, soy,  nuts, or corn which are in these bars and not gluten.     But if I ate something that made me feel sick, I would avoid it.  

How long  have you been gluten free?  

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

I agree that there might be better bar choices out there, however, the original poster was asking whether or not Atkins bars are gluten-free, which tells me that they want those bars. They are gluten-free and safe for celiacs.

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

8 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

This one should be fine.  It is labeled gluten free.  You said you did not feel well after eating them. It could be due to additional intolerances to dairy, soy,  nuts, or corn which are in these bars and not gluten.     But if I ate something that made me feel sick, I would avoid it.  

How long  have you been gluten free?  

Thanks - I have been Gluten Free for nearly 25 years but always trying to find the best fit for a very busy life. A breakfast meal bar helps a lot in managing my day. Thanks for your help. 

I have other allergies, so finding bars is not easy for me.  They sure are convenient though.  

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis