Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

why dont they prescribe steroids ???

Rate this topic

why aren't Celiacs taking steroids / anti inflammatory medication as a standard treatment?

i was at my ENT Dr who told me one of his patients has celiac and she told him she takes some type of steroid which makes her feel better almost immediately..

Then as I was checking out.. the girl behind the counter said oh one of the girls who works here has celiac too....

then she said someone else she knows also has it... ( an 8 year old kid )

its getting very very common

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Probably because celiacs can heal and feel better without those steroids. I've been on steroids when I had inflammation in my facial nerves. Those side effects aren't worth it if a gluten free diet helps with the gut inflammation even if the process takes longer. Hyperactivity (acting like a meth user), insomnia, muscle weakness and reduced function of the immune system. Only worth it if it's your only option. I'd rather wait for 3 months for my gut to heal after a glutening than take those steroids again. 

If the doctor mention IBS, run. 

Steroids are typically only used in non-responsive, or refractory celiac disease cases, which you can read more about here:

https://www.celiac.com/articles.html/celiac-disease-amp-related-diseases-and-disorders/refractory-celiac-disease-collagenous-sprue/ 

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com