Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Claire

America's 10 Hottest Food Trends

maybe it's just semantics, but I don't think they meant trendy as in hip, I think they are just noticing buying trends... "as people become more aware of gluten intolerance" hopefully it's not a temporary trend and it's a permanent trend toward better foods that just happen to be gluten-free.

I agree with Nini. "Trendy" and buying trends aren't the same thing. I think they're just saying more people are buying guten-free food due to an increased awareness of gluten intolerance. That's a good thing :)

On a serious note, I say we always start the sentance "I'm gluten intolerant, What do you have that's glutne free?" With the first part, we communicate the important fact that we are not being fashionable, which should do.

Now about those kisses....

Woo hoo! I'm in the top ten!

I've never been on the cutting edge of fashion before. Will this get me girls?

You bet it will! Hot chicks seems to be one of the best side effects of celiac! B)

I had one strange encounter with the supposed trendiness of the gluten free lifestyle. I was at a friend's house, and everyone was eating cookies. An acquaintance offered one to me and I said no thanks, and, strangely, she continued to try to push it on me like a street hustler (i.e. "all the cool kids are doing it"). Finally, I just said, "I can't eat gluten," and she responds, "oh, yeah, I try not to eat gluten, but sometimes you just need to indulge." This is a person whose gone back and forth between being vegetarian, vegan, macrobiotic food only, etc, and the way she spoke about it, she made gluten seem like an ethical issue rather than a medical one--I can't possibly think of why anyone would be politically opposed to gluten. It made no sense to me--I think she just saw the word in nature food stores and believed it had to be some sort of cause, like "save the rainforests" or something. As if gluten is this pernicious critter going around and strangling the endangered animals rather than a protein that poses a threat to people with celiac disease. What the heck?

As far as the "intolerance" issue, I know that it is correct to describe it as an intolerance rather than an allergy, but I think that people don't really take the word intolerance seriously, thinking that a little bit is ok. I always just say I have celiac disease and then explain what I can't have. People never know what that is, but when they hear the word "disease," they immediately believe it's serious. I've had a few waiters and waitresses look at me like I've got six months to live, but I'd rather have that happen and have them take me seriously than having them think I'm on the latest fad diet. I think that people who are not on those diets resent them and think they're silly, so they are less likely to regard the seriousness of our dietary restrictions.

"oh, yeah, I try not to eat gluten, but sometimes you just need to indulge." This is a person whose gone back and forth between being vegetarian, vegan, macrobiotic food only, etc, and the way she spoke about it, she made gluten seem like an ethical issue rather than a medical one--I can't possibly think of why anyone would be politically opposed to gluten. It made no sense to me--I think she just saw the word in nature food stores and believed it had to be some sort of cause, like "save the rainforests" or something. As if gluten is this pernicious critter going around and strangling the endangered animals rather than a protein that poses a threat to people with celiac disease. What the heck?

People for the Ethical Treatment of Wheat?

Stupid people, they're everywhere :rolleyes:

Yes they are.... I say we use them as lab animals on an untra concentrated gluten diet, and see if they get sick.

:ph34r::ph34r:

Guest BERNESES
Yes they are.... I say we use them as lab animals on an untra concentrated gluten diet, and see if they get sick.

:ph34r::ph34r:

Hee Hee!

Shall we call this P.E.W?