Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I had written an email to Ragu asking if the pizza sauce was gluten free. It looked fine from the label except for the vague "flavorings" and food starch. They wrote back and said that the food starch is from corn but they wouldn't not make a statement that was gluten free. She did eat it and was fine but I was just wondering if there were any available that people like that is definitely gluten free (it just makes me uneasy that Ragu won't be more specific). Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I had written an email to Ragu asking if the pizza sauce was gluten free. It looked fine from the label except for the vague "flavorings" and food starch. They wrote back and said that the food starch is from corn but they wouldn't not make a statement that was gluten free. She did eat it and was fine but I was just wondering if there were any available that people like that is definitely gluten free (it just makes me uneasy that Ragu won't be more specific). Thanks!

If you have a Wal-mart nearby, the GV brand is gluten free. I personally use the GV brand no-salt tomato sauce and then add garlic, basil, oregano, and onion. I think it's much tastier this way.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Pizza sauce, I use Muir Glen or Contadina typically.

~~~~~~~

Jen

Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005

dairy-free

Most companies will no longer say "gluten-free," even for products that are, for fear of a lawsuit if contamination occurs, possibly in an ingredient they obtain from a third party.

Ragu is one of the brands/companies that will clearly disclose any and all known gluten sources in their ingredient list. That's about as good as it can get these days. While I do realize there is a remote chance of cross contamination in ANY product, I refuse to spend my life worrying about it.

Brands/companies whose labels can be trusted:

Arrowhead Mills, Aunt Nelly's, Balance, Baskin Robbins, Ben & Jerry, Bertoli, Betty Crocker, Blue Bunny, Breyers, Campbells, Cascadian Farms, Celestial Seasonings, ConAgra, Country Crock, Edy's, General Mills, Good Humor, Green Giant, Haagen Daz, Hellman's, Hershey, Hormel, Hungry Jack, Jiffy, Knorr, Kozy Shack, Kraft, Lawry's, Libby's, Lipton, Martha White, Maxwell House, McCormick, Nabisco, Nestle, Old El Paso, Ortega, Pillsbury, Popsicle, Post, Progresso, Ragu, Russell Stover, Seneca Foods, Skippy, Smucker, Stokely's, Sunny Delight, T Marzetti, Tyson, Unilever, Wishbone, Yoplait, Zatarain's.

:)

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007