Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deb O (UK)

What Is Shorting?

Hi

I've read several recipes on the board that list 'shorting' as an ingredient. I don't know what this is - any clues? If its something that's particular to the US, does anyone know of a similar ingredient in the UK?

Thanks! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi

I've read several recipes on the board that list 'shorting' as an ingredient. I don't know what this is - any clues? If its something that's particular to the US, does anyone know of a similar ingredient in the UK?

Thanks! :)

Hi Deb,

I think you mean "shortening". It's fat in solid form, as opposed to liquid oil. :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Hi Deb,

I think you mean "shortening". It's fat in solid form, as opposed to liquid oil. :)

...as in it shortens your lifespan as it hardens your arteries :P

It sounds so unappealing when you say "fat in it's solid form", I prefer "butter" - sounds natural and wholesome now!

Richard

"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien

Diagnosed 3/8/05

Sister also Celiac

Risus remedium optimum est

...as in it shortens your lifespan as it hardens your arteries :P

It sounds so unappealing when you say "fat in it's solid form", I prefer "butter" - sounds natural and wholesome now!

Yep--just the cold, hard facts! :D

Patti

I use lard in place of shortening (solid fat) for all baking.

-Kate

gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:

Strawberries and Banannas (2007)

Nitrates (April 2006)

Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)

Peanuts (Nov. 2004)

Soy (Oct. 2004)

Almonds (Sept. 2004)

Corn (Sept. 2004)

Lactose/Casein (1999)

Shortening is usually used when referring to hydrogenated fats, that wouldn't be solid normally. It includes margarine. Nobody would refer to butter as shortening, as it is natural and actually, it IS wholesome (unless you're dairy intolerant, of course). Natural saturated fats are essential for all functions of your body (and lard is actually NOT bad for you), and people who will only use plant oils (which also can be good for you, depending on which ones you use) will be setting themselves up for a heart attack, contrary to popular opionion (myth).

So, whenever a recipe calls for shortening, you'll do yourself a favour by using butter, lard or coconut oil (none of those will change to become toxic when heated to high temperatures). If you make something that won't require high temperatures, you'd do well to use an oil like cold pressed olive oil or cold pressed sunflower oil.

The idea here is, if it has been artificially created (like margarine) rather than being a naturally ocurring solid fat, don't eat it.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another healthy shortening--I don't know if it's available there--is Spectrum Organic Shortening. It's made from palm oil and is not hydrogenated. It's what I use :)

Patti

The lard which is sold in the solid blocks (Armour brand) is hydrogenated, too. Natural lard is a semisolid sold refrigerated in Mexican markets, or you render your own. I suggest you use hydrogenated lard sparingly.

Nothing

Yep--just the cold, hard facts! :D

You mean the cold hard FAT's... :ph34r:

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

The lard which is sold in the solid blocks (Armour brand) is hydrogenated, too. Natural lard is a semisolid sold refrigerated in Mexican markets, or you render your own. I suggest you use hydrogenated lard sparingly.

I forgot that not all lard is non-hydrogenated. Of course, I meant to say to use non-hydrogenated lard (which is obviously what I am cooking with).

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So to take this further when the 'Annalise Roberts' cookbook calls for vegetable shortening for her choc chip cookie recipe she means an ingredient like the Spectrum Organic Shortening that is made with coconut or palm oil?

I forgot that not all lard is non-hydrogenated. Of course, I meant to say to use non-hydrogenated lard (which is obviously what I am cooking with).

We don't actually have any type on non-nydrogenated lard available to us here. :(

So to take this further when the 'Annalise Roberts' cookbook calls for vegetable shortening for her choc chip cookie recipe she means an ingredient like the Spectrum Organic Shortening that is made with coconut or palm oil?

It's made with palm oil. Coconut oil is not completely solid at room temperature unless it's been hydrogenated.

Nothing